Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery light on dashboard

Options
  • 24-11-2014 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

Woke up this morning and started the car as normal and heard this noise.. like a whining noise it wasn't there last night ( I was driving about 9pm last night )

I then noticed the red battery light was on on the dashboard.

The noise didn't stop all the way to work.. it's not a very loud noise but it's noticeable.

While the obvious answer is to replace to battery.. could it be anything else ?

When i got to work I turned the engine off and started it again.. while it did start it seemed to struggle...

There's a Halfords close by and I was going to get them to fit a battery at lunch time ( If it starts )

One other thing i noticed was a headlight was gone.. while this happens from time to time.. i'm wondering if this time it had anything to do with the battery light / noise .

any info would be great.

Car is a 06 honda accord

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

Could be fan belt slipping

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

irish gent wrote: »
    Could be fan belt slipping

would that trigger the batter light to come on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Alternator might be on its way out, if it's starting to seize, then you would be getting the noise as the belt is slipping.
    the battery light indicates that the battery is not been charged properly.

How much is an Alternator ? .. I'm going to have to drop this to the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

NeVeR wrote: »
    How much is an Alternator ? .. I'm going to have to drop this to the garage.

It's not your battery. The battery light is on because the alternator is not charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

To clarify what other posters have said, it's not your battery that is the problem, it's your alternator. For some reason it is failing to charge the battery.

Possible causes (based on the squealing you describe): worn/damaged drive belt (cheap fix), damaged bearing in the alternator pulley (much more expensive). A mechanic should be able to tell you in a few minutes what the problem is.

I've booked it in for 4 o clock at my local garage.. I just checked and it's still starting.. I hope it is later so I can get to the garage.

cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I've booked it in for 4 o clock at my local garage.. I just checked and it's still starting.. I hope it is later so I can get to the garage.

cheers lads.

Don't keep starting it! You're draining a battery that's not charging. When you drive to the garage later turn everything off.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Park with your bonnet out, and see if anyone has any jump leads, just in case.

I won't start it again.. leaving in about an hour to go garage.

If it does start .. is there a risk of the car stopping half way there.. or once it's started it should be ok ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why don't you check the fanbelt yourself to see if it's worn or there's excessive play? That's what I'd be doing before going near a garage. If it's the belt then just buy a new one from any motor factor and fit it yourself.

As already advised, don't start the battery just to check it because it's not being charged at the moment, that's what the red battery light indicates.

I've no exp with cars / engines.. I wouldn't want to assume it's just the belt and something bigger to be wrong.

I've no exp with cars / engines.. I wouldn't want to assume it's just the belt and something bigger to be wrong.

Before posting here I made this little video to record the sound mainly so it's not the best really .. And I can't leave the office to make another .. But ya might get something from it

http://youtu.be/jluUOtZcYoc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Before posting here I made this little video to record the sound mainly so it's not the best really .. And I can't leave the office to make another .. But ya might get something from it

http://youtu.be/jluUOtZcYoc

Belt looks intact there. I can't hear much out of the ordinary either.

One other possibility is that the regulator has failed on the alternator: it's a cheap enough part and not difficult to fit.

Advertisement