Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed van, U-turn on approach

Options
  • 23-11-2014 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

if you see a speed van in the distance and know you are over the speed limit if you stop and turn back can they prosecute if they have no closeup picture of you passing them or at what distance would this work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Please don't open old threads. But to answer your question the van reads the speed and takes the photo about three car lengths from the BACK of the van at the SAME time. So I assume your situation would be near impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

pippip wrote: »
    Please don't open old threads. But to answer your question the van reads the speed and takes the photo about three car lengths from the BACK of the van at the SAME time. So I assume your situation would be near impossible.

3 car lenghts that would be 10-15 metres.

So in other words, only blind drivers can ever get caught with speeding fine from speed van.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

ironclaw wrote: »
    As for bikes, as has been said, only works if they are going away from the rear of the van. So a biker has a 50% chance of being caught really.

Or less than 50% really as most if not practically all bikers would spot the van in time and have the gumption to kill their speed....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I thought it was something like 100-150 yards they get you at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Sorry wasn't thinking straight, it probably is longer than three car lengths but still pretty close. My point was more the image and reading are took at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

if you see a speed van in the distance and know you are over the speed limit if you stop and turn back can they prosecute if they have no closeup picture of you passing them or at what distance would this work

I hear if you slam on the breaks* then pull over and put a rag over your licence plate they cant prosecute.

*in the interests of road safety yes I am joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Only way to avoid a speeding fine is to travel at 88mph exactly when the camera flashes.
    Happened me in 2017 and still no fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

corsav6 wrote: »
    Only way to avoid a speeding fine is to travel at 88mph exactly when the camera flashes.
    Happened me in 2017 and still no fine :)

not in a Corsa V6 though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Roughly speaking, its 2.5 times the width of the road, going towards or away from, the rear of the van only. Thats your 'danger zone'

Advertisement