Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback result thread

Options
  • 23-11-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

So, thanks again for all the feedback you gave a few weeks ago. We took all the main points and had a chat about them and here are some of the things/changes we will try and implement:

Negative Atmosphere: This was reported as an issue after a bit of a problem with several posters on the forum. However we think most of the time it is not an issue and seems to have cleared up now. Will be watched out for in future though.

Tables: Tables clogging up threads such as the DCM thread this year. These tables can look a bit unsightly in threads so we will be encouraging people to use google docs for large threads like the yearly DCM thread. For smaller races, tables are probably still fine.

Novice sub-forum: This was suggested as a way of helping out the new runners who come to the forum, however, most of the posters who commented thought that separating the beginner and experienced runners was a bad idea and would only segregate the forum, so we won't be putting this forward to the admins.

Rant/rave threads: Several people suggested that these threads should either be closed or merged into the Off-topic thread and just have one big off-topic thread. For now they are not causing any issues although having three off topic threads is a little pointless, so we might leave them as they are. If they cause issues (like in the past) we will close them and stick with the Off-topic thread.

More obvious modding: This was something that came up several times, our Mod actions need to be more obvious. So rather than just snipping/editing a comment we will post in bold what the issue is and what the specific issue is, maybe even what element of the charter is being breached.

Extra Mod: This is something that came up as well, maybe the need for an extra Mod. We are currently trying to line up another Mod, bear with us! :)

Graduate training thread: I think ecoli's "Continuity thread" fits the bill perfectly or this, thanks ecoli!

Standard labeling for all threads in the event forum: We will try and standardise the labeling for all threads in the events section so all new events should be labelled with the following info:
    In the thread title should be name of race, distance and date preferably in the format dd/mm/yyyy, time

Guest coaches: AMK suggested that we organise a guest coach to come in and answer questions for a week, a bit like the AR/Tist in the spotlight. This is a good idea but it's really something users have to take and run with. So, get talking to the coaches in their clubs and see if they will come on and take questions for a week! I have a few people who might do it, but this is a great and if you know anyone who would be interested then PM me!
    2. The forum is like facebook for many people (me included at times). There should be a sub forum called "chat" or something similar that contains threads like rant/rave, off topic or other threads that have no possible benefit to running community but have a place. They should not be on the front page to the forum. Looking at http://www.fetcheveryone.com/forum.php they have a chat forum

A sub-forum for chat alone I don't think is going to happen but maybe if the R/R threads are merged with off-topic thread this would leave all the chat in one area?
    3. I joined this forum as a novice for DCM and I glued to the novice thread as it really helped me. Since then I have got help by members in training etc. but what happens after graduates finish? There is no natural progression.

As mentioned earlier, ecoli's new thread is perfect for this.
    4. Connected to point 3 is there really a benefit of the countless logs for people who all have similar goals. There is way too much noise and very little signal. I have started a training log a few times but given up. However if there was a training log similar to the novice thread with people following a plan with we all seeking a similar goal. Where is the P&D 55-70 autumn marathon thread or similar. Much of the benefit for the novice thread is from the other posters and not the person mentoring the thread. If 5-10 people are all following a plan to a marathon in the spring or autumn then they can bounce ideas off each other and learn for each other.

We think threads for multiple people with specific goals is a good idea, and people could each post their weekly training for feedback or whatever. But if you want a thread/log lie this, then simply start it! Other people will see it and join in. Personally speaking I started a thread for middle distance runners and it has been very interesting and created a little community of MD runners on here sharing info. No reason similar threads/logs can not be started for any group with similar goals. If you have a specific thread in mind, PM me and I'll get it going.
    7. Setup a store where people can buy one off boards branded stuff. Yes it will be more expensive but some non club members like to be identifiable at races etc. Also they can buy it whenever they want also.

Leave this with us for now, I know Kurt Godel did something similar so will send him a PM.

So that is all the comments that came up dealt with (hopefully :)), it was great to see that the majority of comments were positive with only some small issues coming up. We will implement these changes and can review in a few months maybe and see how they are working. Thanks again.

Advertisement