Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I even try for disabled badge?

Options
  • 23-11-2014 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I had a car accident in April. It resulted in significant herniated lumbar disc, causing loss of signal, pain and leg weakness. I was unable to drive until a few weeks ago and had to move to an automatic car.

I am taking morphine, among other pain killers, muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories. My mobility is very much reduced. It varies from having to rest after as little as 20-30 metres, to being able to go a couple of hundred metres, which leaves me exhausted and needing hours of rest after. I am 31. Stuck in the public system, waiting on spinal surgery and also waiting on a pain clinic appointment, which will be a 12 month wait.

A disabled parking badge would be a massive help to me, but I don't know if I would even qualify. I don't know if my condition will be permanent, but it has certainly deteriorated since the accident. I have 2 minor slipped discs in my neck and a possible 4th one in my thoracic spine that I need to have checked out. I collapsed and was found unconscious on Tuesday morning and taken to hospital. This, I suspect was from the walking (advised by GP and surgeons) I had done the day before, which left me in quite a state.

I would like opinions here if possible. I haven't a clue as to how I would go about this. I don't have a medical card, or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Most definitely try. I have one because I had a pulmonary embolism and it is hard to breath when I have to walk long distances.
    Give these guys a call:
    www.ddai.ie/

They will send you a form, you have to get your gp to complete it send it in with everything and 35 euros and you should get one soon. These are only valid for 2 years so it doesn't matter if your condition is temporary.
    You should also try to get a primary certificate.
    Find your local HSE and ask them for more info.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dyanne

Morphine has a huge amount of side effects, including dizziness and drowsiness - you probably shouldn't drive until you know exactly how it effects you and whether that was to blame for your incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Most definitely try. I have one because I had a pulmonary embolism and it is hard to breath when I have to walk long distances.
    Give these guys a call:
    www.ddai.ie/

They will send you a form, you have to get your gp to complete it send it in with everything and 35 euros and you should get one soon. These are only valid for 2 years so it doesn't matter if your condition is temporary.
    You should also try to get a primary certificate.
    Find your local HSE and ask them for more info.
    Good luck

Thanks again. I contacted the ddai and they sent out an application. I had my GP complete the form and rather than just enter 50 metres or less, I wanted him to complete it honestly and say as I said above. I was surprised, but I received it a couple of days ago and already it has come in handy. I was able to park a few metres away from Murrays in the city, to go purchase a walking stick. I felt like an old man, but these steps have......well, given me extra steps. Thank you!

Advertisement