Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working from home and collect social welfare?

Options
  • 23-11-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was working a Graphic Design internship up until last week when it all went sour and it was best that I moved on.

I'm now back to just getting my normal job seekers allowance.

I have applied for 100's of jobs in the past few days and I have some interviews lined up.

I was offered one that is working from home. 20 hours a week with a low basic salary and is mainly commission based.

Do I need to sign off the jobseekers allowance because of this?

I'm not sure at all so thought I would ask here.

I'm still available and looking for work as I still apply for jobs everyday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I was working a Graphic Design internship up until last week when it all went sour and it was best that I moved on.

I'm now back to just getting my normal job seekers allowance.

I have applied for 100's of jobs in the past few days and I have some interviews lined up.

I was offered one that is working from home. 20 hours a week with a low basic salary and is mainly commission based.

Do I need to sign off the jobseekers allowance because of this?

I'm not sure at all so thought I would ask here.

I'm still available and looking for work as I still apply for jobs everyday.

You'd possibly have to sign off for maybe two days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If its commission based it may be classified as self employment which means your means assessment will have to go for review. If its not self employment then you will have to get a letter from employer stating the days you are working... ifs its more than 3 days then you will not receive anything from sw.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Cheers lads.

Hi everyone.

I have a meeting with the social welfare tomorrow so I'm going to let them know I took the job.

It's part time and it's 2 to 3 days so I should be eligible for part-time workers allowance?

I'm on 144 a week as it is from the social welfare so does it mean I just lose 2 days from that?

Also the company doesn't have a office in Ireland only England so how would I go about getting a letter to show what days I worked?

If you are on benefit you will be deducted €28.80 for each day worked up to a maximum of three days. If you are on allowance then any earnings will be means tested. You will be given forms that you need to complete and hand in every week, these have to be countersigned by your employer. If you have a supervisor based in Ireland they can countersign the forms. As you will be casually employed you will be paid by cheque and will not have to sign on every month.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. They have informed me they have no-one that can sign the forms for me in Ireland.

Oh...you need to let the sw office know this and you should be able to complete the forms and submit them yourself but a form will be issued monthly AFAIK to your employers in the UK for verfication of dates worked.

Perfect thanks very much.

Advertisement