Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home Alloy Touch up

Options
  • 23-11-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Anyone ever done this, small scuff on one of my alloys, too small to justify a refurb but big enough to rattle my cage, ive got the, primer/paint and sealant

just looking for a bit of advice and pointers

Frank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

For a small stuff I wouldn't repaint a whole wheel. It will always be slightly different.

If you could buy an identical wheel and then sell the other one it's probably the best balance between cost effectiveness and finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I tried it on my own alloy last week after kerbing it.

i used filler as shown on various youtube videos.

getting the filler smooth i used 80 grit sandpaper for 90% of it, 180 for 5% and 600 the rest of the way.

just keep feeling it with your finger to judge is it smooth. and imo you are better off not using a sandpaper block. Just use it in your fingers as it helps to feel if it's getting smooth.

i would mask nothing other than the tyre. i masked everything other than the damaged area initially and ended up with a masking line. and had to sand it down again and go over it all again to blend the edge.

the spray paint smell will fill your house so if you've a garage ect to do it in i'd do it there.

Advertisement