Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far From The Madding Crowd (Vinterberg)

Options
  • 23-11-2014 2:37pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First little trailer for this film arrived today, 140 years to the day since the book was first published.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturevideo/filmvideo/cinema-trailers/11245788/Far-From-the-Madding-Crowd-watch-the-first-trailer.html

Thomas Vinterberg directing, Carey Mulligan, Michael Sheen and Matthias Schoenaerts star.

I don't know if anyone has read the book but it's a quite modern tale of a woman who inherits a farm and instead of marrying the first man who offers she decides to stay single and run the farm herself. She ends up with three potential suitors and things get messy as she tries to control them all. I guess it's technically a love story but not in the way Jane Austen wrote them. As I said it's quite modern in comparison to the stuffy wooing of Austen or the likes.

The short trailer looks great, cinematography in particular looks good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I watched the older film with Julie Christie, Terence Stamp and Alan Bates again recently and their performances especially Christie and Bates were great but there is a good cast in this new remake

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I watched the older film with Julie Christie, Terence Stamp and Alan Bates again recently and their performances especially Christie and Bates were great but there is a good cast in this new remake

I saw bits of that old one years ago when I was very young, too young to really pay attention. All I remember is the red army uniform and maybe sheep going off a cliff at one point. :)

I read the book last year though and it's a really great story. It makes you wonder why women are so obsessed with Jane Austen's books when Batsheba Everdene is an incredibly modern woman and she gets the romance too but on her own terms.

But yes the cast looks great in this one. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Is a remake really necessary? As someone pointed out the cast in the original was top notch. This one is full of second rate actors and reasonable character actors, possibly with the exception of Mulligan

Is a remake really necessary? As someone pointed out the cast in the original was top notch. This one is full of second rate actors and reasonable character actors, possibly with the exception of Mulligan

Are remakes ever necessary?

It's been 50 years almost since the last one was made. I don't think there's anything wrong with retelling the story now. It will bring the story to a new audience and probably bring the old film to a new audience too.

What I do hate is when a remake is literally a remake, as in shot for shot it's the same film just with different faces. Hopefully that's not the case here.

Are remakes ever necessary?

It's been 50 years almost since the last one was made. I don't think there's anything wrong with retelling the story now. It will bring the story to a new audience and probably bring the old film to a new audience too.

What I do hate is when a remake is literally a remake, as in shot for shot it's the same film just with different faces. Hopefully that's not the case here.
    That's the question isn't it? Sometimes it works. Heat was a vast improvement on LA Takedown. David Cronenburg's The Fly was a great remake of a B-movie. Red Dragon was not really an improvement on Manhunter. I suppose it depends on the cast and who is at the helm. In the case of this current remake the cast of the remake can't hold a candle to the original and, notwithstanding The Hunt, the director is not in the same class as John Schlesinger, so the omens are not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I like Michael Sheen, he elevates any film for me

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I like Michael Sheen, he elevates any film for me
    I like him myself but he's no Peter Finch

I suppose it's down to personal taste and as I said I haven't really seen the old film but often I find old films aren't the best. I suppose the standard of acting, or style of acting maybe, changes over time but often I find older films hard to watch as they can be quite hammy and over dramatic. Also book adaptations used to be almost page for page and quite boring in some cases.

I fully intend on watching the old version after I see this new version though.

Advertisement