Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social welfare say im working, im genuinley not.

Options
  • 23-11-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi guys, this is is my first post so I hope im doing it right. I got a letter from the social welfare on friday saying that the revenue commisioners have informed them that I am either working or getting a pension from argos and i now have to go into argos to get them to sign a form to say how much I work and earn a week. The problem is I've never worked in Argos. I interviewed for them but turned down the job when they wanted me to work an hour a day everday as I would have been earning alot less money and also lost my weekly payments for me, my partner and daughter. Anyway is it going to be basically they say I work there and thats it or will I get my chance to prove I dont and never have worked there. sorry about my terrible grammar its hard to type on my rather small phone. any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well if you're not working for them or getting a pension from them then I'd imagine asking Argos for a letter stating that might well be your best option. Sounds like somebody there may have gotten their wires crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BigBadDom

wrote:
    Calmly tell them otherwise and if they persist, go to the Ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭letsgetloud

P_1 wrote:
    Well if you're not working for them or getting a pension from them then I'd imagine asking Argos for a letter stating that might well be your best option. Sounds like somebody there may have gotten their wires crossed.

I will do that, thanks it seems odd to me really because the interview was two months ago, the revenue commisioners should clearly see In two months I have paid 0 tax.

BigBadDom wrote:
    Calmly tell them otherwise and if they persist, go to the Ombudsman.

do they usually persist . I am just worried I could be left with no money while they decide that I do not work there

I will do that, thanks it seems odd to me really because the interview was two months ago, the revenue commisioners should clearly see In two months I have paid 0 tax.

Did you give them your PPS at any point during the recruitment process? Sounds like they may have registered you for tax before they offered you the job and forgot to unregister you when you turned them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 BigBadDom

do they usually persist . I am just worried I could be left with no money while they decide that I do not work there

All the more reason to go to the ombudsman sooner rather than later. It's ok though. Scare tactics are part of the way they do things. It's nothing personal as such, it's just their training. Civil servants are not paid enough to really care shall we say. Get the Ombudsman on your side and who ever put this into motion will learn soon enough to look elsewhere. Go to the Ombudsman tomorrow. They are there exactly for this sort of thing. The best of luck!!

P_1 wrote:
    Did you give them your PPS at any point during the recruitment process? Sounds like they may have registered you for tax before they offered you the job and forgot to unregister you when you turned them down.

I had to put my pps on the application form so maybe thats it. seems unproffesional to me really. basically im in the **** now because they didnt unregister me I will go and get a letter from them and hope that it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Also ring Revenue - I've found them very helpful in the past

BigBadDom wrote:
    All the more reason to go to the ombudsman sooner rather than later. It's ok though. Scare tactics are part of the way they do things. It's nothing personal as such, it's just their training. Civil servants are not paid enough to really care shall we say. Get the Ombudsman on your side and who ever put this into motion will learn soon enough to look elsewhere. Go to the Ombudsman tomorrow. They are there exactly for this sort of thing. The best of luck!!

but I don't want to come across as a dick either, they made a mistake it happens I wish it didnt happen to me but I want to see if I can just explain the situation before I take it any further.

Also ring Revenue - I've found them very helpful in the past

you know I never thought of that at all. I may as well go to the source first.

• Advertisement

Was there a number on the letter? If there was ring it tomorrow, explain your situation and ask what proof, if any, they want to show that you aren't working for Argos.

P_1 wrote:
    Was there a number on the letter? If there was ring it tomorrow, explain your situation and ask what proof, if any, they want to show that you aren't working for Argos.

theres a form on the back of the letter that argos have to sign. so ill go in tomorow and get them to do it. I will just feel a bit awkward doing it because I was interviewed in dublin so I have never met the manager in the local store.

P_1 wrote:

there is a form on the back that argos have to sign, but I was interviewed in Dublin so Ive never met the manager in the local store.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

You say you never worked there but it got to the stage where they talked hours with you. It sounds like you were offered the job to me and perhaps it even got to the stage where they registered you.

Obviously if they wanted you to work the hours you say that's ridiculous and your decision not to accept those hours is spot on but it sounds to me like you were offered and job and in expecting you to accept that job they registered you.

You now need to obtain a P45 from Argos which will show that although they registered you that you never actually worked there. Go to your local social welfare office in the mean time, explain what happened and ask for time to get the appripiattme documents. They will almost certainly give you that time.

Talk of involving the ombudsman is ridiculous (which I see you have no intention of doing by the way) and talk of scare tactics even more so.

You say you never worked there but it got to the stage where they talked hours with you. It sounds like you were offered the job to me and perhaps it even got to the stage where they registered you.

Obviously if they wanted you to work the hours you say that's ridiculous and your decision not to accept those hours is spot on but it sounds to me like you were offered and job and in expecting you to accept that job they registered you.

You now need to obtain a P45 from Argos which will show that although they registered you that you never actually worked there. Go to your local social welfare office in the mean time, explain what happened and ask for time to get the appripiattme documents. They will almost certainly give you that time.

Talk of involving the ombudsman is ridiculous (which I see you have no intention of doing by the way) and talk of scare tactics even more so.

ok I will do that thank you, will I have to open a whole new social welfare claim after this do you think ?. This is actually the worst time of year for this to happen to me I just hope its a straightforward process to sort this out.
    thanks for the advice.

ok I will do that thank you, will I have to open a whole new social welfare claim after this do you think ?. This is actually the worst time of year for this to happen to me I just hope its a straightforward process to sort this out.
    thanks for the advice.

I honestly think your payment will not be affected at all once you actually get to speak to somebody.

I honestly think your payment will not be affected at all once you actually get to speak to somebody.

ok thank you. its

ok thank you, its priority number one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You need to get Argos to complete the form. It looks like they put you on the payroll for whatever reason.. so you need to get the form completed by them showing you never worked for them.

so I drove to the revenue today and got a p45 it says I started on the 21 october and finished the 22 and it also says I earned 0 euro i hope its enough yo convince the dsp that I dont work in argos

• Advertisement

so I drove to the revenue today and got a p45 it says I started on the 21 october and finished the 22 and it also says I earned 0 euro i hope its enough yo convince the dsp that I dont work in argos

That'll do it alright.

Advertisement