Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbed at work

Options
  • 22-11-2014 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,

Feel the need to vent or I might burst. Without going into too much detail I have been held at knifepoint multiple times in work (worked in retail) after the last incident I couldn't face returning to work.
    I have never had any contact or acknowledgement from my employer regarding these incidents. Previously I told myself not to make a big deal about it but looking back it was a bloody big deal!
    I was a loyal and hard worker and feel a bit worthless due to the way I was treated. My confidence is through the floor. My safety was threatened so many times that I now dread going out by myself. I wake up during the night thinking there's men in balaclavas standing at the end of my bed. The Irish in me holds me back from seeking counselling even though I feel I need it.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience or bit of advice that might help?

I'd really appreciate it

Regards,
    Cowgirl123

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

It looks like your employers have forgotten you are human. They have not offered any sort of support? At all? Do they not have any sort of HR dpt who know their job????

I'm not a lawyer, but there has to be some sort of work law that can be used to kick their sorry arse.

I'm fuming on your behalf. They're feckless, useless .... AAAAARGH

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cowgirl123

Hi Oink,

Thanks for the response!
    No support. No contact. Nothing. It's a small business so no HR dept unfortunately. The guards were really good about it and wrote me a letter so as I could sign on otherwise I would be viewed as having left employment by choice.
    It became "normal" for it to happen to me. I was never offered time off after the incidents, just expected to carry on as normal and cross my fingers it wouldn't happen again. And the dope that I was, that's what I did!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Ok apart from the fact that I'd love to see them sweating in a labour court or whatever they're called, the main thing is your health. You cant get mugged several times like that and just tough it out. You need to take it seriously. Talk to a professional. Talk to your GP, he will be able to point you in the right direction. You need some sort of counselling, or emotional help, something. If a friend was in your shoes, you wouldnt tell them to tough it out. Be your own best friend :-) !

Ha! Thanks oink, you're very kind.

I went to the doc after the last incident because I was trying to get up the courage to leave work, was in a bit of a state, he gave me a sick cert and Valium!! I try not to take them because it won't help in the long run.
    Turns out the same day work text to see if I was coming in and that was it, finally dawned on me they didn't give two hoots about me and it was time to go.
    I get upset thinking about it and I'm afraid to apply for jobs because I'll be asked why I left my previous job. Petrified ill end up crying! That and I can't work in retail again, my nerves wouldn't take it.
    Thanks for your kind and wise words oink, it really helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

God. the ****ness of some employers never ceases to amaze me.

I take it you left and I know it's tough without work but as Oink says, YOU are number one not some ****ty shop.

best of luck.

And investigate their lack of duty of care to you legally.

• Advertisement

Thanks oxman!

Ya I finally left. I guess I'm struggling so much because I've always worked, ever since I was 14 I've had a job. Slight feeling of shame sitting at home when physically I could be working. Emotionally I'm still struggling.
    I don't think I'd have the strength to pursue it legally. I'm too soft! I wish I'd grow a pair :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

cowgirl123 wrote: »
    Thanks oxman!

Ya I finally left. I guess I'm struggling so much because I've always worked, ever since I was 14 I've had a job. Slight feeling of shame sitting at home when physically I could be working. Emotionally I'm still struggling.
    I don't think I'd have the strength to pursue it legally. I'm too soft! I wish I'd grow a pair :D

Yeah can't imagine the mark being threatened once never mind numerous times would have on me.

Actually, nevermind going after the shop have you anyone that can guide you in getting help for the stress and trauma (obviously not your own doctor!)

Bit in bold^ - heed your own words and make sure you look after yourself. :)

Ya my family doctor is a lovely man but very old school. I have another doctor I have gone to a couple of times and she's very thorough so gona try and get up the courage to go talk to her.

Thanks oxman!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,680 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cowgirl123 wrote: »
    I have another doctor I have gone to a couple of times and she's very thorough so gona try and get up the courage to go talk to her.

I can't even begin to imagine what you've gone thru here.

Dunno quite what to say, except to encourage you to go and see the other doctor, and if they're helpful switch yourself fully to them. If not, then keep looking for a doctor who is.

Much as I'd love to see your employer sweating in court, you need to look after yourself first and the legal route may make it worse for you. So focus on you, not on the legal side. You might be able to think about that later after some counselling.

Were you in a union at all? If so, see if they have any suggestions.

You could also try this organisation: http://crimevictimshelpline.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Get a solicitor asap. Let them do the talking. That's their job. Meanwhile get a sick cert and stay away from work.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice Mrs O Bumble and Percy!

You're both right, but I agree with Mrs O Bumble, I need to get my head straight before I go fighting any battles. I left work Percy, finally had enough after the last robbery. I believe deep down I was wronged but I've gone from a really strong independent person to struggling to deal with the smallest problems. I'd be afraid chasing this would only have a worse effect on me with the possibility of nothing coming from it in the end.
    Hopefully the whole experience will harden me up in the long run:D

Advertisement