Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Revs high on automatic?

Options
  • 22-11-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

Just bought a Suzuki Alto 1.1 automatic
    When it hits 80k the revs go above 3....is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is there an O/D off button on the gear shifter?

I'd say it's a basic enough gearbox, do you know how many gears it has.
    As in, drive it and make a note of how many times it changes gear. I'm fairly sure there's 4 gears. make sure it's using all 4.

Doesn't sound too odd though, it's a city car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is there an O/D off button on the gear shifter?

I'd say it's a basic enough gearbox, do you know how many gears it has.
    As in, drive it and make a note of how many times it changes gear. I'm fairly sure there's 4 gears. make sure it's using all 4.

Doesn't sound too odd though, it's a city car.

Whats an O/D off button? Sorry its first automatic car so trying to get to grips with it

It's a small button that might be on the side of the gear stick

ODoff.jpg

Its for overdrive. Not sure if the Alto has this. it essentially makes the engine rev higher in top gear.

Is it the one you press it when going from D to N to R etc?
    If so then yes

It's a small button that might be on the side of the gear stick

ODoff.jpg

Its for overdrive. Not sure if the Alto has this. it essentially makes the engine rev higher in top gear.

Ok ill have a look when driving later....what should I do if it does?

• Advertisement

Press the button while you're driving and see what happens. The revs will either go up or down :)

When you're driving it, count the gears. It obviously starts of in first gear. see how many gears it uses up to 80kmph.

Press the button while you're driving and see what happens. The revs will either go up or down :)

When you're driving it, count the gears. It obviously starts of in first gear. see how many gears it uses up to 80kmph.

ok thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

The OD button, when on, lowers the revs, it links the engine/box at 1:1 i.e engine revs match output revs at the box. An Alto probably wont have one though, but then an alto at 80 is usually revving it's nuts off anyway, manual or auto. 3k revs would be nothing, 3.5k - 4k would be more typical...

The OD button, when on, lowers the revs, it links the engine/box at 1:1 i.e engine revs match output revs at the box. An Alto probably wont have one though, but then an alto at 80 is usually revving it's nuts off anyway, manual or auto. 3k revs would be nothing, 3.5k - 4k would be more typical...

Yeah the highest I've seen it was 3.5k......is that a problem or normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Yeah the highest I've seen it was 3.5k......is that a problem or normal?

Normal. Small, low torque engine, it gets around on revs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement