Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is sound for Corrie on TV3 rubbish?

Options
  • 21-11-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

Why is sound for Corrie on TV3 rubbish on the Sky system? - for quiet areas the sound gains right up, and then if there is a loud sound it seems to be attenuated - it reminds me of when i used to record onto tape and on my tape deck there was a switch called 'AGC' (automatic Gain Control) and that switch done the same thing, it attenuated louder sound an brought the quieter sounds up - but its so noticeable on TV3 and with corrie (havent noticed it on other programmes on TV3 or in he adverts when corrie is on) - and if I switch over to corrie on UTV or ITV on the Sky Digibox the audio is perfect on corrie so it must be something TV3 are doing to it. - Hate it, have to keep turning the volume up and down. Havent tried it on SAORVIEW yet (because havent got aerial) , wonder if it does the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It's like that no matter what the programme is, it sounds like a really badly set up audio processor.

Action movies are impossible to watch on TV3, someone whispering sounds louder than gunshot fire which makes the whole thing sound ridiculous.

It's definitely unique to the broadcast too, if you watch the same programme on catch-up with Sky On Demand, the sound is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Picture quality is the worst on 28e which usually means the sound won't be too hot.

We put it on Saorview last night and both pic and sound was great for SD.

Subtitles are bad on TV3 too, they are either there or not or showing a conversation that took place a few minutes earlier. I gave up on it a long time ago and watch it now on ITV HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

just watching the Xtra Factor on TV3 (103 sky) and again, sound is rubbish volume up and down all over the place - adds are normal volume (if not a tad too loud to be honest, louder than the xtra factor show)

Kensington wrote: »
    It's like that no matter what the programme is, it sounds like a really badly set up audio processor......

and is that a TV3 person fault? - if it is sack em and give the job to someone who can do the job properly lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

TV3 aspire to have the lowest broadcast standards of any channel. I've seen more effort put into some shopping channels.

Hopefully they'll be obliterated when UTV start.

JDxtra wrote: »
    TV3 aspire to have the lowest broadcast standards of any channel. I've seen more effort put into some shopping channels.

Hopefully they'll be obliterated when UTV start.

Was thinking the same thing, maybe corrie and these other itv shows will be taken onboard by UTV when they start broadcasting, and thats jan 2015 isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They'd want to get this stuff right. Most people have access to itv programming on actual itv channels!

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They'd want to get this stuff right. Most people have access to itv programming on actual itv channels!

oh yeah definately, if i could pause and record the likes of corrie and x-factor and the like on utv or ITVHD on the sky+ box i would! - but as it stands they are still on 'other channels' on the EPG and you cant record or live pause on other channels can ye?

Was thinking the same thing, maybe corrie and these other itv shows will be taken onboard by UTV when they start broadcasting, and thats jan 2015 isnt it?

Corrie and emmerdale are moving to UTV Ireland on January 1st. Tv3 have lost the rights to them, thank goodness!

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Corrie and emmerdale are moving to UTV Ireland on January 1st. Tv3 have lost the rights to them, thank goodness!

oh brill - and hopefully the new UTV channel will broadcast on the normal EPG number so it can be recorded and paused? - i hope

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It would be highly unlikely that UTV Ireland are not listed on the Sky EPG in Ireland. Platform deals are yet to be announced, but they want the widest availability possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

oh yeah definately, if i could pause and record the likes of corrie and x-factor and the like on utv or ITVHD on the sky+ box i would! - but as it stands they are still on 'other channels' on the EPG and you cant record or live pause on other channels can ye?

All digital cable customers and anyone with Freesat can do that.

Advertisement