Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you reckon i could use the vodafone HG658c with SKYPE?

• 21-11-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭

do you reckon i could use the vodafone HG658c modem/router (with its landline telephone sockets) with SKYPE? - anyone tried to configure it? -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

do you reckon i could use the vodafone HG658c modem/router (with its landline telephone sockets) with SKYPE? - anyone tried to configure it? -

You dont need to configure it

You can also download Skype to a smartfone and use as a handset on the bb connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    You dont need to configure it

You can also download Skype to a smartfone and use as a handset on the bb connection.

Sorry, I should have explained myself better - I have DECT phone, I want to plug that into one of the Tel sockets on the back of the HG658c modem/router and then put my SKYPE username and password into the router/modem and make calls through the HG658c .... but with SKYPE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Sorry, I should have explained myself better - I have DECT phone, I want to plug that into one of the Tel sockets on the back of the HG658c modem/router and then put my SKYPE username and password into the router/modem and make calls through the HG658c .... but with SKYPE

Ah, cant help you then so. Try it.

Edit. Thinking about it, i doubt if you can. You need the Skype program for it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Skype does not use the industry standard protocol SIP so can only work where it is specifically supported.
    The HG656c supports voice over IP(VoIP)services based on Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). SIP is an application layer protocol used to create, modify, and end multimedia sessions. The HG658c's Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) parameters are set before delivery. Generally, these parameters do not need to be modified. You can use the VOIP services directly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Nope - Skype doesn't support SIP as mentioned, but you could use Skype Connect or a business pack that supports SIP.

http://www.skype.com/en/features/skype-connect/

The other alternative is to use any provider that uses SIP, e.g. Blueface, Goldfish, cheapvoip.com/Betamax providers

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Ah, cant help you then so. Try it.

Edit. Thinking about it, i doubt if you can. You need the Skype program for it to work.

yep that was what i was wondering because on windows you have to download the program and on android you have to download the app

Mr. G wrote: »
    Nope - Skype doesn't support SIP as mentioned, but you could use Skype Connect or a business pack that supports SIP.

http://www.skype.com/en/features/skype-connect/

The other alternative is to use any provider that uses SIP, e.g. Blueface, Goldfish, cheapvoip.com/Betamax providers

thanks, i must have a look at that skype-connect then, i have some credit left in my skype account and it would be great if i could use it on the skype connect and use my dect phone to make the skype calls

as it stands with the settings that is already in the HG658c modem router if I plug my dect phone into the 'Tel 1 or 2' socket i get a series of beeps on the handset and if i dial a number is just goes silent - what does that mean? - and does vodafone broadband at home have a VOIP add on because i couldnt find it when i went into my vodafone account page

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Do you get a dial tone?

It sounds as if it's not set up. Is it connected to the VoIP service in the status section of the web console?

Mr. G wrote: »
    Do you get a dial tone?

It sounds as if it's not set up. Is it connected to the VoIP service in the status section of the web console?

no, just beeps if i put it on speakerphone or listen through handset ear speaker - dunno about the status, i will call up the status page on the pc and have a look - im pretty sure befor there was a box in the setting saying VOIP and it was ticked, but I never checked the status page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement