Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying my dog

Options
  • 21-11-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi my dog is almost 3 years old. I have to get her sprayed (neutered).
    I'm just wondering if you guys know the price in and around?? Also if you could tell me what to expect when after she is sprayed.
    And Also if you could recommend a veterinary practice that would be great as i am very nervous about this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

It cost me 160 euro to have my dog spayed, that was in cvc in Limerick. It took my one awhile to recover from it, it took a lot out of her but she was a pup and it depends on the dog really. My friend had her 8 year old spayed and she recovered much quicker than my one at 6 months. My parents had one spayed at 10 and she was fine after a day or two.

She will probably be on pain killers for a few days, and you will have to keep her quiet, not let her jump or run up and down the stairs as it could burst the stitches. The vet will then call her back to see if shes healing up ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lauren3142

This helps alot ! Do they keep them long after they have done the operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Spray a dog :D

Call your local ISPCA and they will recommend a vet in your area.

If you're receiving a Social Welfare Payment call Dogs Trust they have a voucher scheme
    Dogs Trust offer a Subsidised Neutering and Microchipping Campaign for people in receipt of means tested Social Welfare payments. The scheme is facilitated by a number of participating vets around Ireland.
    At the beginning of each year, Dogs Trust issue these practices with an allocation of vouchers to offer the campaign to the people of their area.

As Dogs Trust is a charity, the number of vouchers each year are limited and are issued on a first come first served basis, providing the client qualifies for the campaign.

Each voucher enables a person to have their dog neutered and microchipped for €20 and Dogs Trust will meet the balance with the vet.

The qualifying payments for the campaign are as follows:

State Pension Non Contributory
    Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner Non Contributory Pension
    Carers Allowance
    One Parent Family Payment
    Deserted Wives Allowance
    Jobseekers Allowance (Not Benefit)
    Supplementary Welfare Allowance
    Disability Allowance
    Blind Pension
    Farm Assistance
    Guardian’s Payment Non Contributory
    Qualified Adult Allowance
    Pre Retirement Allowance
    These are the only payments which qualify to use the campaign.

We have a list of vets taking part in this scheme and their details are available from our Neutering Hotline on 1890 946 336.

You will need to bring photographic ID and proof of Social Welfare payment to the vet with you before they will carry out the surgery.

Lauren3142 wrote: »
    This helps alot ! Do they keep them long after they have done the operation?

No they usually take them in early in the morning and they can go home by 5 or 6 that evening.

The vet will usually give you a list of things to watch out for after the operation and just general after care. Ask for one if they don't give you one. It explains whats normal and whats not, in relation to swelling and the colour of the wound area.

But its pretty routine and nothing to worry about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

I'd recommend brown, nice colour brown for a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Lucy is 30kgs and it was around €160-180. It was fine! She was tired the first night and then back to herself the next morning. I put a tshirt on her tied at the back and an inflatable collar at night to be safe but she had no interest in the stitches at all so no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

Lauren3142 wrote: »
    Hi my dog is almost 3 years old. I have to get her sprayed (neutered).
    I'm just wondering if you guys know the price in and around?? Also if you could tell me what to expect when after she is sprayed.
    And Also if you could recommend a veterinary practice that would be great as i am very nervous about this
    wha...eh...awww...poor doggie ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ok folks, that's a few p1ss-taking posts now. Pity ye felt ye had to take the mick rather than just tell the op they've made a mistake. A common mistake too, I might add. Ye can quit the mick-taking now please.
    OP, it's spayed, not sprayed ;)

Technically you can spray your dog lol. €6 to €8 a can. It works and is a lot cheaper than neutering.

Chris___ wrote: »
    Technically you can spray your dog lol. €6 to €8 a can. It works and is a lot cheaper than neutering.

Good luck with that.

• Advertisement

I have 4 dogs. 3 boys and a bitch. In 5 years that stuff has never failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but that doesn't work and if you are using that instead of neutering you are playing with fire big time.

There are more advantages to neutering that preventing the bitch from getting pregnant, if a bitch is not used for breeding and is not neutered shes at a high risk of developing pyometra and other things.

My parents made the mistake of not spaying their dog and she developed pyometra at the age of 10.

Getting a dog spayed is money well spent.

You have one example of one bitch.
    It is not a good idea to advise it generally as an anti-pregnancy measure to all and sundry in a public forum.

Advertisement