Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EVs and snow

Options
  • 21-11-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭

Saw a post over on another forum and it got me wondering..

How different is it to drive an EV in the snow? Is there anything special to be aware of?

Yes, I know range will be reduced in the cold, but this is a specific query about snow driving as this is also my first automatic..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can't see it making much difference tbh. Engine braking on an automatic wouldn't be comparable to a manual either way.

ploughing through the snow itself will reduce range.

Snow tyres will reduce range if driving on them all the time, but they're worth it, people completely underestimate how good they are. I've a set in the shed should I need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

In a way automatics are easier to drive in the snow since you don't stall or over rev the engine. Just calm and relaxed driving or just letting the car drive itself with the engine creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    In a way automatics are easier to drive in the snow since you don't stall or over rev the engine. Just calm and relaxed driving or just letting the car drive itself with the engine creep.

I always preferred to drive with gears in snow,and found an automatic a nightmare,not looking forward to snowy Zoe!

reboot wrote: »
    I always preferred to drive with gears in snow,and found an automatic a nightmare,not looking forward to snowy Zoe!

The instant large amount of torque in an e.v could be difficult perhaps, probably a much greater need for proper snow tyres.

I always have a set just in case, I like to be able to drive a lot safer and have much better grip. It's fun too when you pass people stranded, then you really appreciate the value of proper snow tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

The instant large amount of torque in an e.v could be difficult perhaps, probably a much greater need for proper snow tyres.

I always have a set just in case, I like to be able to drive a lot safer and have much better grip. It's fun too when you pass people stranded, then you really appreciate the value of proper snow tyres.
    I thought the very expensive tyres on the Zoe and like most new ICE cars had reduced friction, ,in the ICE case to provide the much sought after better mpg I will try chains out. Seems to work for the Ice Road Truckers .

chains are fine in heavy snow but proper snow tyres mean you can travel in all conditions, and you don't have to,put them on and take them off again.

good modern eco tyres should have very good grip , I know mine do but they won't safely allow me to travel in snow like most tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Dexter1979 wrote: »

Got to agree here, had a Merc S202 Auto during the bad snow a while back, RWD and Auto should have been a disaster but the ability to allow the car to creep off the mark and just give a few pulses on throttle allowing the wheels to find some grip before giving each one without fear of stalling is pretty cool.
    Understanding the reactions of your wheels to your driving actions will always be more powerful than the configuration of your drive train.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

be grand - instant power n traction control

-20c

Advertisement