Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CD player in car faulty

Options
  • 21-11-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

i have a 5 yr old Jetta and the CD player is giving trouble by spitting out CDs instead of playing them. It does this for about 20 mins in the morning but when it starts to read the discs it will play all day.
    A new CD player is an incredible €700 with VW saying they will do it for about €500

Both far too high.

Does anyone know anyone in the louth area who fixes these things ???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

PKH wrote: »
    i have a 5 yr old Jetta and the CD player is giving trouble by spitting out CDs instead of playing them. It does this for about 20 mins in the morning but when it starts to read the discs it will play all day.
    A new CD player is an incredible €700 with VW saying they will do it for about €500

Both far too high.

Does anyone know anyone in the louth area who fixes these things ???

Have you tried a cleaning disk ? Most likely in the 5 years of use the laser has never been cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

If you can't fix it just check eBay, I'd be surprised if you can't find one for <€100. If not on .ie try the uk (+parcel motel) or even German eBay. A local breaker might have one lying around as well...
    Replacing it should take about 5 mins and anyone can do that, make sure the radio comes with the security code (if applicable).

• Registered Users Posts: 24 PKH

Yes I tried the cleaning disc twice but it made no difference.
    The guy in VW told me scrap yards will screw me too cow they know the value of these things.

Why is it not possible to repair them ????
    I can't believe that

Yes I tried the cleaning disc twice but it made no difference.
    The guy in VW told me scrap yards will screw me too cow they know the value of these things.

Why is it not possible to repair them ????
    I can't believe that
    Most likely the laser unit is faulty and needs to be replaced. This is a straightforward repair and not too expensive. Do you know the model of radio or can you post a photo here.

Looks as though I can't post a picture cos I haven't got enough posts to earn the privilege ??
    There's no model number on it all that's written on it is MP3.

• Advertisement

Looks as though I can't post a picture cos I haven't got enough posts to earn the privilege ??
    There's no model number on it all that's written on it is MP3.
    If MP3 is written on facia just above the cd slot ,your radio is the RCD 300 model and from experience the laser is faulty.

Yes, MP3 is written directly above the cd slot.

Does no one repair these bloody things?

Surely a new reader can't be that hard to install ?

Ok suit yourself, don't check eBay...
    I just did and although I don't know exactly what your radio looks like I just searched for VW RCD300. Plenty for sale and when I said less than €100 it seems I was wrong...
    It's probably more like less than €50.
    I'm sure you'll find someone who can fix it though;-)

I did check e bay and there's tons of them but they are from China and USA mostly.
    Would they be compatible with European cars ??
    The VW guy on the phone today was really nice and agreed the new ones are a crazy price.
    He did warn though about buying a second hand one cow you need a code

Did you check eBay.ie? I don't know what you searched for but what I find are used and from the uk. As I said before you need to make sure the code is supplied.
    Is this the one?
    http://m.ebay.ie/itm/301400316722
    Or this?
    http://m.ebay.ie/itm/261657029624
    Another one:
    http://m.ebay.ie/itm/291283540766
    If you do decide to replace it make sure to get the exact same model and as said with the code.
    I did say I saw them for <€50 but that was before I read yours has "mp3" written on it. Anyway good luck!

• Advertisement

Yes it's that first one.... If I can't get it fixed I will buy it.

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MobileAudio

You could always replace with an after market unit and facia adaptor. Shouldn't cost too much. You could get one with iPod control / bluetooth etc if needed so an upgrade also.

Advertisement