Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Using merging lanes to undertake on the sly

Options
  • 21-11-2014 4:56pm
    Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I've seen this more frequently lately.
    Cars in the left lane crawling along so hopping into the adjacent merge lane where they can skip about half a mile of cars.

Firstly, is this illegal ? not that it matters cause this is Ireland & there's no enforcement anyway.
    Secondly, if I was queuing in the Post Office & just decided to walk past everyones left shoulder up to the top of the queue I'd expect to get decked, why not so when in a car ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Cars in the left lane crawling along so hopping into the adjacent merge lane where they can skip about half a mile of cars.

Firstly, is this illegal ? not that it matters cause this is Ireland & there's no enforcement anyway.
    Secondly, if I was queuing in the Post Office & just decided to walk past everyones left shoulder up to the top of the queue I'd expect to get decked, why not so when in a car ?.

1) I believe so.
    2) The only people who would notice your slyness are the ones stuck in traffic like this person, The cars in front wouldn't have a clue. They will merely think the person has joined the road and wants to merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You generally find that once people get into cars they turn into the exact opposite of what they are like when not in a car and some people are just ignorant all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Kinda depends to be honest. Taking the N11 between Lochlinstown and Bray North, no, you are a total tool if you nip in there at 5pm and undertake the traffic / cut off the people trying to merge. But in light traffic coming from the Newlands Cross on ramp towards Lucan on the M50, where you have 4 lanes, I don't see an issue in staying to the extreme left if you joined at Newlands Cross. I wouldn't see the point in doing it in traffic if you are already on the M50, as lane 2 and 3 are generally moving faster than lane 1 as people try to slam on / jump onto the Lucan off ramp.

'False economy' in terms of time really unless traffic is at a standstill and you intend to leave the road you are on. Otherwise you're a monumental tool if you decide to undertake and cut back in, as you are choking the merging lane for people trying to join and leave. Self defeating.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

ironclaw wrote: »
    Otherwise you're a monumental tool if you decide to undertake and cut back in, as you are choking the merging lane for people trying to join and leave. Self defeating.

Is it though, you're jumping ahead of the merge by doing it so surely you are gaining something

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Is it though, you're jumping ahead of the merge by doing it so surely you are gaining something

The merging lane is for traffic entering the road or leaving it. By utilising it as a 'third' or whatever lane, you're adding to its capacity. You are gaining, a few seconds, but you are most likely slowing down someone entering or exiting by your presence there. On the N11, you can see traffic having to brake heavy when someone hops off the M11 to cut in further up at Bray North. Once again, you are gaining seconds at the expense of being a tool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

It is the way they rejoin forcefully back into the left lane across solid white lines and traffic islands at (beyond) the last second.

It boils the blood... more than it should and I see it many times every day on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

On the other side it drives me mad when people don't use the whole merging lane and just stop at the very beginning with their indicator on.

Or when people think your trying to skip the queue somehow and move their car to intentionally block you from merging.

Advertisement