Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon Blockbuster Pricing

Options
  • 21-11-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when Odeon introduced this new charge? Apparently for The Hunger Games (currently) and the forthcoming Hobbit movie, there will be an additional charge of €1 per ticket!!

Seems very like price gouging to me and hardly an encouragement to go see movies in the cinema. This is of course on top of the additional 50c per ticket charge for booking online!!

No wonder my local Odeon is doing very poor business...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

tallpaul wrote: »
    Does anyone know when Odeon introduced this new charge? Apparently for The Hunger Games (currently) and the forthcoming Hobbit movie, there will be an additional charge of €1 per ticket!!

Seems very like price gouging to me and hardly an encouragement to go see movies in the cinema. This is of course on top of the additional 50c per ticket charge for booking online!!

No wonder my local Odeon is doing very poor business...

Is it because it's in a "special" screen. Went to see Interstellar recently and was charged extra because it was in OmniplexMAXX or some such.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They are charging more for bigger releases? That's mental. What possible justification can they give for this?

At least Cineworld just charge over the top prices across the board :pac:

Ah, it's charging extra for the "IMAX" screen...ok, that's different. It's an extra 4 or 5 quid in Cineworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

smcgiff wrote: »
    Is it because it's in a "special" screen. Went to see Interstellar recently and was charged extra because it was in OmniplexMAXX or some such.

Is it a decent sized IMAX screen? An extra Euro for IMAX is not bad compared to other cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

My local cinema is in Naas and there is no IMAXX type screen there!!! It is only for these films at present so I assume that the screen will be used for other movies in the intervening period without the charge!

It is price gouging, pure and simple...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

tallpaul wrote: »
    My local cinema is in Naas and there is no IMAXX type screen there!!! It is only for these films at present so I assume that the screen will be used for other movies in the intervening period without the charge!

It is price gouging, pure and simple...

I wonder if the distribution companies charge more for perceived blockbusters and the cinemas are passing it on. No idea, just conjecture on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Blockbuster pricing...**** sake. You'd want a serious set of balls to come up with something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

A joke! Saw it tonight and was just a normal screen, quite a small cinema screen actually. Really peeved at the extra euro charge!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd consider a blockbuster surcharge the equivalent of going in to McDonalds and getting charged a 'gourmet' premium for a Big Mac. Junk food should be cheaper ;)

Advertisement