Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uk car plates what year over here?

Options
  • 21-11-2014 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi.
    I have a question re the year of UK cars.
    My understanding of the uk plates is that for example a plate containing 08 means it is from the first half of 2008, whereas a plate containing 58 means it is from the second half of 2008.

Yet looking at autotrader uk site I see cars with plates containing 58 listed as being 2009 cars.

Any idea what year they would be over here if you were to bring one over and register it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

gaillimh wrote: »
    Hi.
    I have a question re the year of UK cars.
    My understanding of the uk plates is that for example a plate containing 08 means it is from the first half of 2008, whereas a plate containing 58 means it is from the second half of 2008.

Yet looking at autotrader uk site I see cars with plates containing 58 listed as being 2009 cars.

Any idea what year they would be over here if you were to bring one over and register it?

A car registered in September 2008 – February 2009 has the number 58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

The UK don't follow a calender year. The 0x is 1st March to 31st August and the 5x goes from 1st September to 28th February.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

renofan wrote: »
    The UK don't follow a calender year. The 0x is 1st March to 31st August and the 5x goes from 1st September to 28th February.

1x and 6x now (since 2010!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes the uk step the reg change away from the new year so for example:
    08 will always be a 2008 as plate relates to 6 months from march
    58 can be 2008 or 2009 as plate runs over into early 2009

Now a 2009 car on a 58 plate holds no more value than a 2008 car on a 58 plate to a uk based person but it is obvious that to an irish person buying a car, the late late 58 plate is very useful as it will come with a 2009 reg here.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes the uk step the reg change away from the new year so for example:
    08 will always be a 2008 as plate relates to 6 months from march
    58 can be 2008 or 2009 as plate runs over into early 2009

Now a 2009 car on a 58 plate holds no more value than a 2008 car on a 58 plate to a uk based person but it is obvious that to an irish person buying a car, the late late 58 plate is very useful as it will come with a 2009 reg here.
    Thanks guys.
    So just to confirm I am understanding this correctly...
    A Uk 58 car that was registered in 2008 (between Sept & end of Dec 2008) will be a 2008 reg over here, while a 58 car that was registered between 1st Jan and end of March 2009 will be a 2009 reg over here?
    So basically for an Irish license plate it will always be whatever calendar year the car was registered?

• Advertisement

Yakuza wrote: »
    1x and 6x now (since 2010!)

I know that! I was replying to the op and used the digits he had so as not to cause confusion. :)

gaillimh wrote: »
    So basically for an Irish license plate it will always be whatever calendar year the car was registered?

Yup, it'll state date of registration on the V5.

Advertisement