Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What oil for 2008 BMW 320d

Options
  • 21-11-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hello. We bought a 2008 320d MSport earlier this year and subsequently changed the timing chains and kit to avoided all that drama before engine went on our N47 engine over BMW chain problem.
    Mechanic told us change oil after 3000miles. Its 4500m now and the guy is in Poland, so our local mechanic said bring the oil and filter up and he'll do it. (Its normal with our other car that we buy parts and he does the work) I asked him what oil and he said the recommended one! He said its our choice what oil to use he's just changing it. Fair enough as he said makes a big difference to engine and metal content? Way over my head.

0W ? 5W i havent a clue. Castrol or mobil ? :confused::confused: Advice greatly appreciated as must drop car up tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

What exact model is it? I'm thinking a decent 5W-30 full-synth like Mobil 1 ESP will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aurellia

Hi Jim Goose, thanks for your reply. Its a 2008 320D MSport Business Edition, 177bhp with N47 Engine. Do i need an oil for the Turbo? We had this reconditioned as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Aurellia wrote: »
    Hi Jim Goose, thanks for your reply. Its a 2008 320D MSport Business Edition, 177bhp with N47 Engine. Do i need an oil for the Turbo? We had this reconditioned as well !

With or without DPF?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Also you need to ask quantity of oil, Castrol may come in 4 litre can and you probably nee at least 5 (needs to be confirmed) and so that means buying 4 + 1 which is often more expensive than buying say a 5 litre can of Mobil.

Check owners handbook under specifications for quantity and you could put your reg into micksgarage.com for type of oil. No affiliation to any above mentioned. Owners handbook may specify type of oil or in BMW case may advise you that your local dealer will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

You need an oil that meets BMW LL04 spec.

Castrol Edge 5w30 would be the most commonly available oil but there are plenty of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭charlieharper

Aurellia wrote: »
    Hello. We bought a 2008 320d MSport earlier this year and subsequently changed the timing chains and kit to avoided all that drama before engine went on our N47 engine over BMW chain problem.
    Mechanic told us change oil after 3000miles. Its 4500m now and the guy is in Poland, so our local mechanic said bring the oil and filter up and he'll do it. (Its normal with our other car that we buy parts and he does the work) I asked him what oil and he said the recommended one! He said its our choice what oil to use he's just changing it. Fair enough as he said makes a big difference to engine and metal content? Way over my head.

0W ? 5W i havent a clue. Castrol or mobil ? :confused::confused: Advice greatly appreciated as must drop car up tonight.

http://oilselector.castrol.com/c/uk/eng/recommendation/430a3d5d93c55c3df77e644b88dfba22/BMW/3-Series-E90-E91-E92-(2004-2013)/320d-(2007-2010)

CASTROL ONLY!!

Advertisement