Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does unopened wine last?

Options
  • 21-11-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Guys I have wine in the press I got from my late father in law that I have been afraid to open cos not sure if it's ok here are the two wondering if ok to drink them.

French Grenache/Syrah 2001 Old Git
    Cypriot red dry wine 2005 from Vasilikon winery in Cyprus think grape is cabsab/mataro grape

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Unlikely to kill you but they may be rank.

Old Git is mentioned here, and was a cheap bottle at the time, 13 years later it could be undrinkable.

Dunno about the Cypriot bottle but in general cheaper wines are meant to be drunk young.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

loyatemu wrote: »
    Unlikely to kill you but they may be rank.

Old Git is mentioned here, and was a cheap bottle at the time, 13 years later it could be undrinkable.

Dunno about the Cypriot bottle but in general cheaper wines are meant to be drunk young.

I know about Cypriot wines. 95% of them are meant to be drunk young, very few are produced to be aged, you will know about that as they will be more expensive and even possible have an aging recommendation on the label.

Op I think you've kept those too long...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Ah ok didnt know that the young inexpensive wines need to be drunk early hmm they are corked. I dont know how much he paid for the Cypriot wine it has a silver medal on it hence came 2nd in Cyprus wine products council competition so maybe that one is expensive. Cypriot wines are cheap to buy but some very nice to drink. Safe to pop and dispose of? I guess if opened I could sip it won't kill me :) If rank how will a red taste not that well up on reds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Open them. Taste them. Nothing bad will happen.
    If you like the taste, drink them.
    If you don't like the taste, pour them down the drain.
    It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Yeah funny the Old Git wont be nice might try a bottle before Christmas need to stock up and nice ones for drinking and cheap one for the mulled wine :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

miss choc wrote: »
    Ah ok didnt know that the young inexpensive wines need to be drunk early hmm they are corked. I dont know how much he paid for the Cypriot wine it has a silver medal on it hence came 2nd in Cyprus wine products council competition so maybe that one is expensive. Cypriot wines are cheap to buy but some very nice to drink. Safe to pop and dispose of? I guess if opened I could sip it won't kill me :) If rank how will a red taste not that well up on reds.

OP i think even the best of wines produced in Cyprus in 2005 would not age well for more than a few years. Nowadays it's a different story, the industry has changed completely, and you do now get certain wines that could be aged for years, we have a few aging at home.

AS for the taste, open it and try, if you don't like = don't drink. if you do, then go ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,937 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you're going to drink it, maybe try to decant it for 30 minutes before hand, some oxygen might temporarily revive them long enough to get a nice drink out of them...

Trust your nose, if it smells off it'll taste off.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement