Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Million Dubliners - Documentary with a twist in the Tail

Options
  • 21-11-2014 5:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I watched "One Million Dubliners" on RTE, last night . . .

It was really cleverly done with, unusual for a Documentary, a twist in the tale . . .

It turns out that the grave being dug, the coffin being closed, the ceremony being filmed, the funeral neing filmed is of the Historian who is talking throughout it - Simon Mac Thomais . . .

I wonder what the history of the Documentary is? Did he know that death was imminent when he was speaking in the film? Would love to know the full story . . .

Watch it and you'll know what I mean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

The ending floored me. I had to rewind my Sky Box to confirm the name and picture on the coffin.

Shane spoke throughout the documentary and came across as a great character. Someone I would love to have a chat with.

I was even considering going up to Glasnevin soon to see if I could have a guided tour with him.

Documentary was filmed around Valentines Day 2014 and he died March 20th I believe......just over a month later and I understand sadly it was from suicide. He was found in the graveyard.

I only knew of him from watching that documentary last night but by the end it felt like someone close to me had died. I will visit Shane s resting place.

RIP Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Excellent documentary, was amazed by it.

Sad to hear that Shane passed away, like another poster I would have looked to be given a tour by him, very intelligent, knowledgeable and entertaining. RIP.

I really must visit though on my next trip to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

The ending floored me. I had to rewind my Sky Box to confirm the name and picture on the coffin.

Shane spoke throughout the documentary and came across as a great character. Someone I would love to have a chat with.

I was even considering going up to Glasnevin soon to see if I could have a guided tour with him.

Documentary was filmed around Valentines Day 2014 and he died March 20th I believe......just over a month later and I understand sadly it was from suicide. He was found in the graveyard.

I only knew of him from watching that documentary last night but by the end it felt like someone close to me had died. I will visit Shane s resting place.

RIP Shane
    can you put proof/a link to that.....or is it more ****e /pub talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Volvoair wrote: »

Unfortunately its 100% true.

RIP Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

It was well made I thought.
    I didnt connect the grave and ceremony to shane at all till now.
    Two different documentaries in one, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Volvoair wrote: »

It's been publicised since in the national media, via interviews and other articles with his daughter, etc.

Speaking as someone who knew the background story to the documentary prior to viewing, I have to say it was a rare pleasure in terms of how it was made. The grounds themselves, the graves and the people who knew them best were allowed to tell the tales in a raw and emotive fashion.

A real must watch documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Having known about the events in the documentary before, I found it quite bizarre that it was being set up as a twist ending. Someone commits suicide and we get our emotional catharsis. Don't get me wrong, I understand that many people who knew MacThomais were happy with the documentary as a tribute to him, but the logic of it baffles me all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just watched this, and finished it in tears.

What an unbelievably charismatic man, and what an incredibly sad tale.

I vaguely remember hearing about his death at the time, but it meant nothing to me then, as I've never visited Glasnevin properly.

Well I will now.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Fascinating documentary. Was surprised to see the late Shane but a lovely testament to him. So sad to see his funeral at the end which was an unexpected twist. He had such enthusiasm and love for his job. He is a great loss to Glasnevin - wonderful with the visitors, such enthusiasm.
    May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Does anyone know if this will be repeated? RTE player wouldn't work for me in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

This wonderful doc is up on youtube at the moment. No ads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

EganTheMan wrote: »
    I watched "One Million Dubliners" on RTE, last night . . .

It was really cleverly done with, unusual for a Documentary, a twist in the tale . . .

It turns out that the grave being dug, the coffin being closed, the ceremony being filmed, the funeral neing filmed is of the Historian who is talking throughout it - Simon Mac Thomais . . .

I wonder what the history of the Documentary is? Did he know that death was imminent when he was speaking in the film? Would love to know the full story . . .

Watch it and you'll know what I mean

thanks for giving away the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Quoting it helps as well

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

sadie06 wrote: »
    This wonderful doc is up on youtube at the moment. No ads!

No longer available.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Just a heads up that this wonderful documentary is on RTE 1 next Thursday at 10.15pm

• Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bump for this, on tonight, great documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Watching this again, but knowing the ending, was extra poignant tonight.

What a lovely, but at the same time awful, story it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Amazing documentary really well made. Googled half way through Shane's name and found out he died before it aired. Seemed like a geinune nice guy depression sadly comes in many unexpected forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Saw this last night, was absolutely drawn in by it. I'd being meaning to visit glasnevin in for years - still haven't visited. Looked like I missed a real character. I must admit of never heard of Shane before.

I got momentarily distracted at the end of the programme. I thought to myself that's a bit morbid - showing his funeral and assuming it was set up as he'd like it to be. Was gobsmacked that it was for real and that Shane has died. What an amazing and unique guy. RIP Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Watched this program last night. A truly lovely program and worth watching if you have any interest in Dublin history. It is available on RTE player. So sad at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Anybody know any video stores stocking the DVD of this brilliant documentary, would like to pick up a couple of copies as Xmas presents. I'm never really up in Dublin

Quick edit I just bought it online from the glasnevin trust.

Advertisement