Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activies in Cork for an exchange student

Options
  • 20-11-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I've been redirected in this section so hopefully, I'll find what I'm looking for.
    I'm arthur from Belgium and I'm 18. I'm an exchange student in the Cork country for 3 months ago. Where I'm living, I'm enrolled in a taekwondo (even if I don't like so much sport but at least, something to do) and in a theatre group (I still attended a theatre group in belgium). I'm doing social studies in a college. I could thus discover new interests and other parts of my personaly.
    But even if I try to talk as much as I can to people, I don't get the impression that my social life is really "busy". I never go out really with somebody (or I did it two or three times with other exchange students). Perhaps I haven't found what I liked yet. And perhaps I should extend my social "opportunities". For example, I'd like to join a voluntary group like Amnesty (I think there's a group in Cork).
    I'm interested in many things: history, news, foreign cultures, philosophy, politics, so on. So, why not joining a philosophy group? Or a political group?
    And do you have anything else to suggest in Cork and around?

Thanks for reading and for your advices

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Water protest !

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Go to the pub with some of your class. Be grand then!!!!!
    Seriously though socislising with some of your class would enable you to make more friends. Sure there is groups organised through college for some of your interests, if not get involved with setting one up.

Welcome to ireland btw

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

stay in and keep ur head down

• Registered Users Posts: 11 arthur1996

True I should take part in some water protest to support you! :p

@christy02 I still asked to some people in my class to go to the pub with me. But they don't seem so motivated... Perhaps should I "push" a bit more :/
    Yeah, I was thinking to set up a group in my college. Because I've checked, there are not so many groups in Mallow compared to Cork (but it's normal)
    Thanks you btw!

@sensormatic I don't understand :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

arthur1996 wrote: »

@sensormatic I don't understand :(

Sensormatic generally only posts unhelpful answers to questions.
    She thinks she's very clever and very, very funny. Probably a teenage child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

This may sound strange, but go to the local church and ask the priest what youth groups are around. He knows everything that's happening in your area and age group and can introduce you.

PLEASE no negative replys from others on this suggestion
    Cheers..

@ the beer Oh right :) but it's ok :) I don't mind :)

@ scudo2 As the Church is more important in Ireland, it might be useful yeah, especially in the countryside. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fortjames

Join on fb page cork language exchange where you will meet nice people:)

Thanks! And which page do you suggest? :) because there're several groups for language exchange in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fortjames

iCC is the one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Are you studying in UCC, no? If you are there are plenty of political/historical/whatever societies that you could join.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

learn English cork people are easy to understand and are good teachers

Advertisement