Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Conditions At work?

Options
  • 20-11-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I would like to hear peoples advice on working conditions in their jobs. IE breaks/ treatment/ rudeness/ health and safety.

I work for a germany company in ireland in the wind turbine industry, and get treated like an animal. We are supposed to get a one hour break for the day that we dont get paid for, our hours are generally 8-5 but normally run to 6-30/8-00. we sometimes only get a 20 min break for the day and might work 8-8.

There is never a mention of having a cup of tea it 6 pm or anything like that.
    Last thursday i didnt get a break until 3-30 to 4-30 which i think is not right, it happens quite regular and the staff dont say anything.

Maybe its just me but it feels like im working back in 1985.

Does anyone else have to deal with these types of working conditions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Are you salaried or hourly?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 retroloose

muboop1 wrote: »
    Are you salaried or hourly?

Salary

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

retroloose wrote: »
    I would like to hear peoples advice on working conditions in their jobs. IE breaks/ treatment/ rudeness/ health and safety.

I work for a germany company in ireland in the wind turbine industry, and get treated like an animal. We are supposed to get a one hour break for the day that we dont get paid for, our hours are generally 8-5 but normally run to 6-30/8-00. we sometimes only get a 20 min break for the day and might work 8-8.

There is never a mention of having a cup of tea it 6 pm or anything like that.
    Last thursday i didnt get a break until 3-30 to 4-30 which i think is not right, it happens quite regular and the staff dont say anything.

Maybe its just me but it feels like im working back in 1985.

Does anyone else have to deal with these types of working conditions?

Firstly if your entitlement to a one hour break is included in your contract of employment (or mentioned as an entitlement in your employee handbook or staff policies) then you need to challenge the failure to provide your contractual entitlement.

Secondly you need to consider your rights under the Organisation of Working Time Act http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0020/sec0012.html

Depending on the length of your working day and the time(s) at which breaks are provided it is likely you are not getting your statutory entitlements.

Have you a union that you can speak to?

I would recommend that you keep a diary of all your working hours and breaks for a period, and should you not have the option of dealing with this through a union go to your local Citizens Information centre for advice.

Advertisement