Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adventure Race Training Group

Options
  • 20-11-2014 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Does anyone know of a few people who train in the North Wicklow area with a view to doing adventure races? I'm trying to get friends to agree to do Gaelforce West, TEAR in Blessington etc but they all get scared off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Are you looking to bring your friends to the training sessions to convert them or are you looking for training buddies?

Probably best to hook up with some of the trail running sessions, IMRA, Run the Line, Laragh Trail type events and look to go out with any of the mountain bikers that are around. Quite a few up around Three Rock and Ballinstoe / Djouce area.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

I just do adventure racing and I train with a tri club. I get excellent bike and run training with the club and I do my own hill running, sometimes with IMRA. Or during the summer when the tri club are doing open water swim sessions I go along as kayak support and that covers my kayak training as well. So in the absence of a dedicated adventure racing club/group a triathlon and IMRA combination works well. Peter X might be a good guy to advise you on this as well, he's in the general area as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

There is a good community of multi-sporters who partake in the IMRA (Irish Mountain Running Association www.imra.ie) series of races. At those you will find like minded folk, many of whom also do the Adventure Races. Their last race of the year is this Saturday, https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1158/

Brian Keogh of Total Experience (based out of Blessington) sometimes runs dedicated adventure race training.

Reservoir Cogs, a cycling club, also in Blesington have a nascent but growing mountain biking section who are currently essentially doing spins on many of the mountain trails and fireroads in the North Wicklow area.

There are trail and hill running organised groups based in both Raoundwood and Laragh. In fact a brand new still in the plastic wrapping hill running club has just formed in Glendalough and is seeking new members. Glendalough AC and I think they have started with a facebook page.

You cannot force your friends to take up your interests, keep your old friends for the pub and make new friends for the hills :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Peterx wrote: »
    Brian Keogh of Total Experience (based out of Blessington) sometimes runs dedicated adventure race training.

Regular Thursday evening adventure racer sessions will begin again once the clocks change and daylight allows. They run from his place in Lacken, and aim to be on the water for 7pm to get ~2 hours paddling.

Advertisement