Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re service under warranty

Options
  • 20-11-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a 2009 Omega Railmaster. It got a full service in May 2013 through Weirs AD.

As it stands it seems to be running well outside of COSC limits. I havnt had a chance to fully check but I think its running approx +- 20-30 sec per day which is a little to much for my liking longterm.

A couple of questions
    1) Assuming the full service it got in May 13 was a full service and overhaul (have paperwork of sorts but will need to confirm with Weirs) then this is covered by a standard 2 year warranty. Is this warranty transferable to me?

2) Rather than go to Weirs can I take it to my local AD for regulation under warranty if it does transfer?

3) Can the AD regulate the watch or does it have to go back to Omega?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Not sure if I miss timed it the first day. Wore it all day yesterday and then set it dial up over night and it lost just a single second over 24 hours.
    Strange.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That is strange. I'd time it over the weekend in different positions and see if there's any great variance. If the 20-30 second variance comes back something is well dodgy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    That is strange. I'd time it over the weekend in different positions and see if there's any great variance. If the 20-30 second variance comes back something is well dodgy.

Yeah gonna do a more robust test 24 hours in 4 different positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Some text nabbed from a page on watch regulation.
    It’s important to realize that there are many factors that conspire against consistent timekeeping when a watch is worn. These include change in position (e.g. dial up, crown down, crown up), change in temperature, change in mainspring state-of-wind, and personal wearing habits of the owner (e.g. worn 24/7 or taken off at night, what position is it left in at night, shocks and bumps from sports activity, etc.). Whilst modern materials have reduced the effects of temperature and mainspring state-of-wind (also known as isochronism from the Greek meaning ‘equal time’), they still come into play, along with ever-present gravity.

Personally, I think the best way to see if your watch is keeping time in 'your' conditions is to wear it as you normally would over 24 hours. Sleep with the thing if that is what you normally do.
    A watch sitting on a test bench can give different readings to a watch used in the real world. All you care about is the latter.

Yeah I think it was my testing conditions. The 36 hours I tested it over it was actually left overnight in my car glove box for 12 of the hours meaning it was pretty cold and at a unnatural angle.

Really don't want to have to an AD for regulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

893bet wrote: »
    Yeah I think it was my testing conditions. The 36 hours I tested it over it was actually left overnight in my car glove box for 12 of the hours meaning it was pretty cold and at a unnatural angle.

Really don't want to have to an AD for regulation.

I had a watch that was loosing minutes per day after I hadnt worn it for a few months and settled down after a while. Eventually realised the problem. My wife had put one of her handbags next to it's box in the wardrobe and it had become slightly magnetised. After a week away from the bag and it's magnetic clasp it was fine again. Maybe not the reason your watch was misbehaving just just goes to illustrate how sensitive mechanicals can be to environment.

Minus 5 seconds over the last 60 hours. Normal wear all day. Dial up at night.
    So exactly -2 per day.

God knows what happened the first time. Whether I set it wrong against the atomic clock, or the testing conditions were off either way it seems I don't need to go back to the AD thank god.

Thanks all.

Advertisement