Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2003 Focus - Ignition barrel and starter motor replacement

Options
  • 20-11-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My current scenario: Ford Focus, 2003, 1.4L, Petrol, ~125,000 miles - Ignition barrel broke and starter motor burnt out (caused by broken ignition barrel which was causing the starter motor to not switch off properly).

I was looking to sell the car before this happened (talk about bad timing!) but now not sure what to do. NCT'd up to May 2015 and taxed up to end of Jan 2015. I am being quoted between 400-500 euro's to purchase and fit replacement parts but reluctant to pay that much when I want to get rid of it.

I would appreciate any advice on what my best option is ...

1. Would anyone be willing to buy the car in its current state? (Not a sales pitch, just wondering if it has any value in its current state)
    2. Is it worth the cost of repairing the car just so I can sell it?
    3. Would I save much by sourcing the parts myself and then hiring someone to fit them?
    4. Any other suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

genius7 wrote: »
    My current scenario: Ford Focus, 2003, 1.4L, Petrol, ~125,000 miles - Ignition barrel broke and starter motor burnt out (caused by broken ignition barrel which was causing the starter motor to not switch off properly).

I was looking to sell the car before this happened (talk about bad timing!) but now not sure what to do. NCT'd up to May 2015 and taxed up to end of Jan 2015. I am being quoted between 400-500 euro's to purchase and fit replacement parts but reluctant to pay that much when I want to get rid of it.

I would appreciate any advice on what my best option is ...

1. Would anyone be willing to buy the car in its current state? (Not a sales pitch, just wondering if it has any value in its current state)
    2. Is it worth the cost of repairing the car just so I can sell it?
    3. Would I save much by sourcing the parts myself and then hiring someone to fit them?
    4. Any other suggestions???

Where abouts are you if youre not too far away i might be interested in taking it if the price is right.

Advertisement