Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6 high mileage thoughts?

Options
  • 20-11-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2007 Audi A6, 2.0 diesel. There is 160,000 miles on it which is quite a lot.
    However it has a full audi service history, it's a one car owner and never crashed (a very nice example to say the least)

I'm wondering what sort of mechanical faults are ahead of me, or is there anything looming at that mileage that Is should automatically expect.

It's a nice price but at the same time it needs to do me for atleast 100,000km. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

milhous wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2007 Audi A6, 2.0 diesel. There is 160,000 miles on it which is quite a lot.
    However it has a full audi service history, it's a one car owner and never crashed (a very nice example to say the least)

I'm wondering what sort of mechanical faults are ahead of me, or is there anything looming at that mileage that Is should automatically expect.

It's a nice price but at the same time it needs to do me for atleast 100,000km. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
    Oil pumps can give big trouble on these, leading to total engine failure.
    It can be fixed but is far from cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Would I be right to assume if that is something that has gone wrong already, that'd be the problem fixed and not a worry? Will have to see how detailed the service history is!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It will all depend on the service history.

I would be looking for evidence for the likes of what mileage was the last timing belt and water pump change. Also make sure there is no vibration coming through the clutch as it could indicate that the flywheel is on it's way out as these usually wear with high mileage. Injectors should have also been replaced by Audi under a recent recall.

This is all good stuff. Thanks.

What is the engine code? Should be on the cambelt cover or in the spare wheel well on a white sticker.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What is the engine code? Should be on the cambelt cover or in the spare wheel well on a white sticker.

Don't have it or access at the min. Looked at the car and the service history, all the things that were mentioned have been done. The timing belt for the second time 15k km ago and water pump. No mention of injectors so that might be something to worry about?

Don't have it or access at the min. Looked at the car and the service history, all the things that were mentioned have been done. The timing belt for the second time 15k km ago and water pump. No mention of injectors so that might be something to worry about?
    Oil pump was done in the service history?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Oil pump was done in the service history?

Balls, I'm not sure. I did see the belt And water pump in there a few times but don't recall the oil pump. Is it it a big job to get looked at or only a big job if it goes? Although it has been fully serviced recently I wouldn't mind spending 500 on it to put preventative measures in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

Negotiate a substantial discount due to the car being on the cc based Motor Tax system. €710 p.a. for a 2007 car while a car from 2008 will be substantially less. The tax difference, alone, is worth a couple of grand of a discount.

Balls, I'm not sure. I did see the belt And water pump in there a few times but don't recall the oil pump. Is it it a big job to get looked at or only a big job if it goes? Although it has been fully serviced recently I wouldn't mind spending 500 on it to put preventative measures in place.
    Depends on the engine code, BLB is one to avoid, BRE are better but not immune to failure.
    Best to check the code really. George Dalton on here has a lot of experience with these engines.

• Advertisement

Yeah I reckon given its service history, it's spec (full heated leather etc. Etc.) and taking tax costs into considerations 6500 is a reasonable price?

I will Def have a look at which model it is and check for oil pump stuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

at 160,000 miles you are hoping rather than expecting to get 60,000 trouble free miles.... all those bushings and joints are getting pretty tired by now. If it was me I would keep looking.. we have had a couple of high milers in the family fleet albeit Peugeot 306's and they did reach the end of their life with us and do a reasonable job for cheap money but I wouldn't go the high miler route again if I could avoid. Just my 2c as the yanks would say :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭robo10

I bought a 2007 A6 2.0 TDI BRE engine code a couple of weeks ago with 140000miles with full service history . A great car i must say very comfortable on the road . The one to buy is the BRE engine code it has the revised oil pump. They are less trouble but can still give problems . Mine is flying so far.

Regarding tax a 2007 a6 tax for the year is 710Euro , A 2008 A6 is 570euro . In my opinion a 08 costs a good bit more spend 1000,s to save 140 per year . So for me the 2007 was the way to go.

140miles, very good. And if you don't mind me asking the price you paid for it? It's hard to gauge what sorta money is reasonable with that many miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andrew1300r

Negotiate a substantial discount due to the car being on the cc based Motor Tax system. €710 p.a. for a 2007 car while a car from 2008 will be substantially less. The tax difference, alone, is worth a couple of grand of a discount.

What a ridicules statement . There is tax difference of less than €200 between 07&08 so you think there has to be a couple of grand discount got to make the 07 worthwhile ??

Advertisement