Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time contract but not getting any hours

Options
  • 20-11-2014 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hello

I am hoping that someone might be able to advise. My employment contract states I am employed in a part-time capacity and that my normal working week is Monday - Friday 8am to 12 noon.

For a number of weeks this year I was advised that there was no work available and that I was not required and once again I have found myself in this position for the last few weeks.

I don't receive any payment for when I am not working. My question is do I have any rights under such a contract, given that it states what would be my typical working hours are. It does say they may be altered

Thanks LJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LJ3103

50 views and no replies so I guess nobody knows if I have any entitlements or not. I just feel that my contract States typical working hours but if the decide there is nothing doing then I don't earn but yet I am at their beck and call.

Is this allowed, should I not be paid percentage of those typical hours that are listed in my contract

Thanks

Lj

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

What you are experiencing appears to be a temporary lay off situation. Employers are entitled to do this if it is included as a clause in your contract or is considered custom and practise in your workplace. If neither of those occur they cannot force this on you without your agreement, but be advised that should you refuse you may be made redundant.

You should be entitled to social welfare payments while you are in this situation.

See here for more information: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/redundancy/lay_off_short_time_working_and_redundancy.html

Advertisement