Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tablet to get

Options
  • 20-11-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'd like a recommendation for a tablet.

1. Preferably android as I have android phone and just prefer that OS.

2. Circa 200e -

3. Fits in suit pocket

4. Mainly use it for watching movies when awayon work trips

Any suggestions? I was looking at Samsung I think it was 8.6. Looked good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Any siluggestions appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭droidman123

Any siluggestions appreciated?
    You can't go wrong with the nexus 7 (2013). Not sure of the price but I think its around your budget mark.will be running latest android os (5.0) as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Nvidia Shield tablet or Nexus 7 (2013 model) would be my recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I'd also suggest the Nexus 7 2013.

Check out the bargain alerts forum for good offers on it although if it's a christmas present for someone make sure any refurb offers come with the box and all the contents like charge and manual as Santa wouldn't forget them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Nexus 7 (2013 edition).

Great tablet, fantastic screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Cheers guys. Sound like the obvious choice.

Anyone any opinions on the Samsung 8.6 I think it's called?

Have you used Samsung devices before and liked them?
    Personally I can't stand their over saturated screens, touchwiz and slow OS updates but plenty of people like them.

Have you used Samsung devices before and liked them?
    Personally I can't stand their over saturated screens, touchwiz and slow OS updates but plenty of people like them.

I have a HTC one mini phone...Just want to stay android. I actually didn't realise Nexus was android o/s but I don't much about it?

I heard the pic on Samsung can be bit blurry alright, mentioned it in one of them reviews that are done on them..

I've found the Nexus 7 the best size for me for portability.
    Anything bigger is not easily pocketable.

• Advertisement

I've found the Nexus 7 the best size for me for portability.
    Anything bigger is not easily pocketable.

Would it fit on the inside of suit pocket I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Yes. I had the older 2012 version which was larger.
    Could fit it into a jeans front pocket.

Wife has the 2013 version. Should be no problem fitting into a suit pocket.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nexus 7 has rubbish storage. If it's for storing films while travelling get the Asus memopad 7 instead for about 120 quid.

If you're travelling about a bit you can't depend on having a constant, reliable WiFi signal. To stream over 3/4G you'll need a phone with a good data plan and a bit of fiddling and you're still going to be dependent on a signal which may not always be reliable. I presume it's mostly local travel or you'd be packing it in a suitcase but for trips abroad you'd need to factor in roaming data charges. You're really going to need something with external storage to hold more than one or two films in anything approaching the quality for which it's even worthwhile having a high resolution screen.

There are lots of options out there but the Nexus 7 doesn't sound like a good fit for you.

Nexus 7 has rubbish storage. If it's for storing films while travelling get the Asus memopad 7 instead for about 120 quid.

If you're travelling about a bit you can't depend on having a constant, reliable WiFi signal. To stream over 3/4G you'll need a phone with a good data plan and a bit of fiddling and you're still going to be dependent on a signal which may not always be reliable. I presume it's mostly local travel or you'd be packing it in a suitcase but for trips abroad you'd need to factor in roaming data charges. You're really going to need something with external storage to hold more than one or two films in anything approaching the quality for which it's even worthwhile having a high resolution screen.

There are lots of options out there but the Nexus 7 doesn't sound like a good fit for you.
    otg flash drive would be his friend

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

otg flash drive would be his friend

In the suit pocket?

In the suit pocket?

How big do you think an otg flash drive is???

In the suit pocket?
    How big do you think an otg flash drive is???

I use one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-DataTraveler-64GB-MicroDuo-Flash/dp/B00JE72K94/

Not exactly massive in size. Works great with Nexus Media importer app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I have a Nexus 7 2013 and it's a brilliant tablet. Yesterday in Tesco Newry I bought a Hudl2. They had very good reviews and they're a very nice looking tablet. 8.3" screen, 16gb with expandable storage up to 32gb, 5mp camera, 2gb ram and comes in a range of colours. It cost £129. Serious piece of kit for the money and a great backup tablet. Yes it has some Tesco bloatware but you can disable some apps or root it if they really annoy you. Doesn't bother me at all. I'm very impressed with it. The extra 1.3" really makes a difference! I couldn't justify the €400+ for the Nexus 9. I'm well pleased! ��

Advertisement