Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy job after college?

Options
  • 19-11-2014 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

What would a relatively handy job or career to seek out after college (business/IT) that would pay 24k or over a year? An when i say handy I could mean least stressful and dose not have to be related to the course

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

All I can ask at the moment is, what interests you? A career in Computing or Business?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Your attitude is the wrong one. Whatever career stream you choose, unless you have some interest in it, will become a daily hell. Try to find what side of IT you enjoy.

A lot of people like the System Admin side as it is all peaks and valleys. Its not constant pressure like Software Dev and requires a broad knowledge of technologies. (And an ever growing one!). That can keep your interest while not burning you out. Bear in mind System Admin is a catch-all term and some gigs are extremely stressful 'one man' operations and others are as dull as ditch water. I would advise you to look into that side of things.

But please, the best thing to do would be to find some area you have an inkling of interest and follow that. I do know that is easier said than done, but it really does pay off in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Itzy wrote: »
    All I can ask at the moment is, what interests you? A career in Computing or Business?

Neither necessarily as of yet in the middle of second year I have still not chosing to like one aspect over the other im just getting by, I just know in myself I wont want a high stressful job, high salaries is not important to me, being relatively happy with my job and not dreading work is my goal job, obviously after a degree id want something over minimum wage too.. Im not lazy either I just want some insight on the least stressful careers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Neither necessarily as of yet in the middle of second year I have still not chosing to like one aspect over the other im just getting by, I just know in myself I wont want a high stressful job, high salaries is not important to me, being relatively happy with my job and not dreading work is my goal job, obviously after a degree id want something over minimum wage too.. Im not lazy either I just want some insight on the least stressful careers

IT is not a stress free environment, regardless of whether you work in Operations (the **** hits the fan when something goes down and there is huge pressure to get things up and running) or in Development (tight deadlines) Projects etc.

I've worked in IT for over 15 years, and have lost count of the amount of people who have left the industry due to the hours, the stress, the need to be continuously learning and upskilling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If money isn't your driving goal then only answer is to find something you genuinely like doing otherwise you'll inevitably get stressed out by whatever you fall into. No one else can really tell you what you'll like doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

If money isn't your driving goal then only answer is to find something you genuinely like doing otherwise you'll inevitably get stressed out by whatever you fall into. No one else can really tell you what you'll like doing.

Yeah I guess, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

I would echo the general sentiment here. I did my degree in Computer Science (I assume yours is something similar). You don't know it yet and all you are thinking about is that sweet sweet cash but do not go into a job just for the money. It never works out. You become miserable and hate your job. Am I saying you will find a career where you will be happy 24/7? Not a snowballs chance. But, by god, you can get the odds in your favour.

I have seen people who hate their jobs first hand, but just muddle along for the pay check. You don't want that.

One very very important thing to remember is that; in our industry there is no 'job for life' any more. Companies come and go these days. One report highlighted most young-IT professionals changed companies every 2 years. Don't be disheartened if you end up in a side you don't like. There are many opportunities out there :)

Advertisement