Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miserable in college

Options
  • 19-11-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Ok, I'm a 1st year in Maynooth at the moment and I feel completely miserable. I'm living off campus so I haven't been able to mix easily with new people and don't know many people from home in college. I feel little motivation to get up most days and I'm finding my course mind-numbingly boring at the moment as it is still in the 'introductory' phase and probably won't move on to more interesting or challenging stuff until after Christmas.

Does anyone here know anything that could make me settle in better?

Edit: I appreciate any advice but I can't tell you how many people have said ''Have you tried joining a club or society?'' to me. I have and to be honest, the ones I've gone to are full of clique-ish fourth years. I've tried talking to people in these societies but it hasn't been working. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You're probably better off that you don't know many people from home. Having a lot of home friends in the same college is more of a hinderance than you might think. People tend to hang out with old friends rather than making new friends from college - they're the ones that miss out.

What clubs/socs have you tried? Are they "safe bets", things you already did before college?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Ok, I'm a 1st year in Maynooth at the moment and I feel completely miserable. I'm living off campus so I haven't been able to mix easily with new people and don't know many people from home in college. I feel little motivation to get up most days and I'm finding my course mind-numbingly boring at the moment as it is still in the 'introductory' phase and probably won't move on to more interesting or challenging stuff until after Christmas.

Edit: I appreciate any advice but I can't tell you how many people have said ''Have you tried joining a club or society?'' to me. I have and to be honest, the ones I've gone to are full of clique-ish fourth years. I've tried talking to people in these societies but it hasn't been working. :(
    Hey there OP

Really sorry to hear about your troubles but if it helps you're not the only one going through this. There are many other people just like you up and down the country. There are a few things you can do though (from a former SU officer in NUIG)

1. Sit beside someone new in a lecture. It's really basic but it's amazing how many friends you can make doing this. Just pick someone new in a course and strike up a conversation before the lecture starts. You won't make a new friend every time (conflicting personalities, no shared interests etc) but you'd be surprised how quickly you'll meet people who you'd be mates with.
    2. Attend any class, course or year parties. This is a no-brainer. Best place to make mates is at a bar where people in your year are. Pretty easy to do. I know it's tough since you live away from college but you'd know in advance the date of it so you can sort yourself somewhere to stay.
    3. Join a club or society. Trust me, it's nowhere near as cliquey as you think. Of course some societies and clubs are extremely cliquey (almost every debating society in the country has this problem) but not all societies or clubs are like that. Just find one, just one, and you'll be extremely happy.

As for your course being boring it's first year. A lot of courses can be like banging your head against the wall in first year because it's mostly just common-sense. Talk to someone (head of course, lecture) about how you are feeling about the course. They'll reassure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

People I know hated college for the first few months. Honestly once you make one friend, they'll introduce you people and you'll know a bunch of people before you know it! I always found tutorials a good place to talk to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

About the clubs and socs, the Mental Health Society get a lot of first years who don't know anyone, and try to get them involved, so it could be worth it to get in touch with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah commuting to college is a real problem for people mixing in college, i found that. espically if u have to work after college in the evenings. i work around my college timetable , some evenings 4-7 or mornings 8-11. so every spare minute is lectures, tutorials then home. mite have an hour in middle where i eat at obriens or phoenix but i never have time to just hang around. i meet home friends for a miinute or two chat when on the way to a lecture thats all. i think i actually might have went a whole week in 1 st year without talking to one person! u do meet people over the years, im in 3rd year now, but it can very hard to actually have friendships with people u meet in tutorials, because next term they are gone into a differnet class, . commuting makes the traditional stereotype college life pretty hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

Hit up the bar all day every day. You admit you are bored and the courses are only being introduced, so what have you go to lose by skipping the lectures? Get drunk, hit on people, see what happens. Snog in the pool changing rooms. Stroll around the farm grounds, have sex in the periodicals section of the library.

Go to the bar-ex with no organised place to stay - then use "where are you staying" as your guide on if you want to go home with them or not. You'll sort out your chat up routine if you've had to spend a few nights sleeping outdoors. I never went to Moyglare, and there were no on campus apartments in my day.

Take a leaf from the awntrepreneurs and startup sexiness. Fail fast, fail often, it is the only way you'll find yourself and what you can achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

I can kind of see where you're coming from. I lived on my own in 1st and 2nd year of college. It was a 4 year course which i wasn't overly keen on. I didn't make many friends, but it was small class anyway. Most of them commuted/lived at home. The class was completely mismatched anyways, like being back in secondary school where there was a bitchy crew, a nerdy crew, and the odd ones out. I was one of those. But saying that, some of us stuck together and we went for lunch together most days. Nobody really went out.

I joined 2 clubs; both of which i didn't make friends because again, very cliquey..and just awkward. You'll be surprised at who you become friendly with in your class. Like for a few assignments, I paired up with a girl mainly because we both knew we were hard workers and we;d get the job done. Now, we are best friends.

So give it time. It's still early. It's a big transition. I was just gone 17 when I started college. Don't worry, everything will work out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 helpneeded96

Thank you everyone for your replies.
    What clubs/socs have you tried? Are they "safe bets", things you already did before college?

I'm gonna be honest I didn't really find any 'safe bets' as you describe them on fairs day. It's too late now anyway to join new ones.
    mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    1. Sit beside someone new in a lecture. It's really basic but it's amazing how many friends you can make doing this. Just pick someone new in a course and strike up a conversation before the lecture starts. You won't make a new friend every time (conflicting personalities, no shared interests etc) but you'd be surprised how quickly you'll meet people who you'd be mates with.

I've tried this but to be honest once the first few weeks are over, people become less impartial to speaking to random strangers as friend groups have been made so I don't think this really works anymore.
    2. Attend any class, course or year parties. This is a no-brainer. Best place to make mates is at a bar where people in your year are. Pretty easy to do. I know it's tough since you live away from college but you'd know in advance the date of it so you can sort yourself somewhere to stay.

There haven't been any yet and if there were I would attend them. Most of my classes are enormous anyway so probably aren't suitable for any parties or nights out. I'm friendlyish with a class rep for one of my modules so I might get onto him to organize something before Christmas but to be honest the class is so big I can't see people biting.
    3. Join a club or society. Trust me, it's nowhere near as cliquey as you think. Of course some societies and clubs are extremely cliquey (almost every debating society in the country has this problem) but not all societies or clubs are like that. Just find one, just one, and you'll be extremely happy.

They are cliquey and to be honest, I think they're actually not great for first years trying to settle into college. I actually have a good idea for a society that I'm hopefully going to get going in 2nd year.
    As for your course being boring it's first year. A lot of courses can be like banging your head against the wall in first year because it's mostly just common-sense. Talk to someone (head of course, lecture) about how you are feeling about the course. They'll reassure you.

I'm willing to be patient in this regard. I've looked through the syllabus for after Christmas and into 2nd year and 3rd year and it does look a hell of a lot more interesting so I just have to endure the boredom at the minute. In saying that, most of my lectures have become intolerably boring and I can keep up by looking at the notes on Moodle anyway. If I don't go to lectures, I just feel guilty though :/
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    People I know hated college for the first few months. Honestly once you make one friend, they'll introduce you people and you'll know a bunch of people before you know it! I always found tutorials a good place to talk to people.

I have made one or two friends but they are mostly commuters so never go out and aren't willing to get involved in clubs and societies. I only have a tutorial in one module and oddly, there are also fourth years doing the module and most of my class seems to be full of them! Tutorials are so boring and unhelpful that I usually just sit down the back of the class on Facebook..
    Dickie10 wrote: »
    yeah commuting to college is a real problem for people mixing in college, i found that. espically if u have to work after college in the evenings. i work around my college timetable , some evenings 4-7 or mornings 8-11. so every spare minute is lectures, tutorials then home. mite have an hour in middle where i eat at obriens or phoenix but i never have time to just hang around. i meet home friends for a miinute or two chat when on the way to a lecture thats all. i think i actually might have went a whole week in 1 st year without talking to one person! u do meet people over the years, im in 3rd year now, but it can very hard to actually have friendships with people u meet in tutorials, because next term they are gone into a differnet class, . commuting makes the traditional stereotype college life pretty hard.

I'd like to clear up that I am not a commuter, I am living in Maynooth in a digs-type accommodation. I have one housemate who is really shy and rarely seems to be home before 10pm as he is always in the library. We're doing different courses so rarely see each other during the day anyway.
    berger89 wrote: »
    I can kind of see where you're coming from. I lived on my own in 1st and 2nd year of college. It was a 4 year course which i wasn't overly keen on. I didn't make many friends, but it was small class anyway. Most of them commuted/lived at home. The class was completely mismatched anyways, like being back in secondary school where there was a bitchy crew, a nerdy crew, and the odd ones out. I was one of those. But saying that, some of us stuck together and we went for lunch together most days. Nobody really went out.

I joined 2 clubs; both of which i didn't make friends because again, very cliquey..and just awkward. You'll be surprised at who you become friendly with in your class. Like for a few assignments, I paired up with a girl mainly because we both knew we were hard workers and we;d get the job done. Now, we are best friends.

So give it time. It's still early. It's a big transition. I was just gone 17 when I started college. Don't worry, everything will work out! :)

I'm willing to give it time and I know class sizes get smaller after the first semester. I'm doing a business course and the business school just seems to lump everyone from all business courses into the same introductory modules in 1st year so my classes are enormous. I should be able to get campus accommodation for next year and I think that will majorly improve my college experience. As I've already mentioned, I find most clubs and socs to be full of cliquey 4th years so I'm looking forward to possibly setting up one myself next year.
    jamfer wrote: »
    Hit up the bar all day every day. You admit you are bored and the courses are only being introduced, so what have you go to lose by skipping the lectures? Get drunk, hit on people, see what happens. Snog in the pool changing rooms. Stroll around the farm grounds, have sex in the periodicals section of the library.

Go to the bar-ex with no organised place to stay - then use "where are you staying" as your guide on if you want to go home with them or not. You'll sort out your chat up routine if you've had to spend a few nights sleeping outdoors. I never went to Moyglare, and there were no on campus apartments in my day.

Take a leaf from the awntrepreneurs and startup sexiness. Fail fast, fail often, it is the only way you'll find yourself and what you can achieve.

I don't know what kind of joke you're trying to make but it isn't very funny to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 helpneeded96

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I'm gonna be honest I didn't really find any 'safe bets' as you describe them on fairs day. It's too late now anyway to join new ones.

I've tried this but to be honest once the first few weeks are over, people become less impartial to speaking to random strangers as friend groups have been made so I don't think this really works anymore.

There haven't been any yet and if there were I would attend them. Most of my classes are enormous anyway so probably aren't suitable for any parties or nights out. I'm friendlyish with a class rep for one of my modules so I might get onto him to organize something before Christmas but to be honest the class is so big I can't see people biting.

They are cliquey and to be honest, I think they're actually not great for first years trying to settle into college. I actually have a good idea for a society that I'm hopefully going to get going in 2nd year.

I'm willing to be patient in this regard. I've looked through the syllabus for after Christmas and into 2nd year and 3rd year and it does look a hell of a lot more interesting so I just have to endure the boredom at the minute. In saying that, most of my lectures have become intolerably boring and I can keep up by looking at the notes on Moodle anyway. If I don't go to lectures, I just feel guilty though :/
    Pudsy33 wrote: »

I have made one or two friends but they are mostly commuters so never go out and aren't willing to get involved in clubs and societies. I only have a tutorial in one module and oddly, there are also fourth years doing the module and most of my class seems to be full of them! Tutorials are so boring and unhelpful that I usually just sit down the back of the class on Facebook..
    Dickie10 wrote: »

I'd like to clear up that I am not a commuter, I am living in Maynooth in a digs-type accommodation. I have one housemate who is really shy and rarely seems to be home before 10pm as he is always in the library. We're doing different courses so rarely see each other during the day anyway.
    berger89 wrote: »

I'm willing to give it time and I know class sizes get smaller after the first semester. I'm doing a business course and the business school just seems to lump everyone from all business courses into the same introductory modules in 1st year so my classes are enormous. I should be able to get campus accommodation for next year and I think that will majorly improve my college experience. As I've already mentioned, I find most clubs and socs to be full of cliquey 4th years so I'm looking forward to possibly setting up one myself next year.
    jamfer wrote: »

I don't know what kind of joke you're trying to make but it isn't very funny to be honest.

I've found Maynooth to be a funny old place anyways. It certainly doesn't give the stereotypical college experience and I think people either love it or hate it. To be honest, I'm thinking of transferring to a Dublin college next year but I suppose it's still early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I'm sure there are still clubs and societies who'd be delighted to take you on board even at this stage of the year. I'm a long time out of college now and I can tell you from experience that just about every club and society out there is cliquish at the start. They're all daunting to join at the start but people usually do come round and become friendlier. Why not send off some emails/call the people in charge of some clubs/socs?

I think a lot of the other advice given here is pretty sound. I didn't know anyone either when I started so I had to start conversations with random strangers in lecture theatres, outside class, in tutorials, even in the canteen queue. Once I made one or two friends it all fell into place. I got to make friends with their friends and so on and so on. I didn't live on campus either I might add. I wonder did you give up too easily? You seem to be in quite a negative mindset and that in itself may be putting people off?

Perhaps you might look into volunteering? I'm thinking that if you joined up with something like St. Vincent de Paul or something along the same lines it could help you. You'd be doing something practical and working in a team. Perhaps pop into the Chaplaincy service for a chat and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

No joke made and no intention to offend. I walked into Maynooth a wide eyed sheltered kid. I worked hard at making acquaintances who then became friends, lifelong friends as it happens.

I will keep my advice to myself, but perhaps a more adventurous spirit and brasser neck would help you out. In any event, I wish you well with your travails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Jamfer's advice, while somewhat crude, does contain some kernels of sense. This is supposed to be the most exciting time of your life. Let yourself go. You have nothing to lose...!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Anatom wrote: »
    Jamfer's advice, while somewhat crude, does contain some kernels of sense. This is supposed to be the most exciting time of your life. Let yourself go. You have nothing to lose...!

I think this attitude can be quite dangerous to be honest. A lot of college students (like the OP) are told how much craic college is and it's ''the time of your life'' and then when they go to college, they actually find it quite difficult due to a few circumstances. This can lead to depression (which a lot of students experience in college) and a sense of guilt that they're not able to have the ''time of their life''.

OP, it seems you have taken some pro-active steps and I feel you will eventually settle down. I agree with you about the clubs and socs. They're not necessarily very welcoming for shy, introverted 1st years and can be quite cliquey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Fair enough, but at this stage the OP is only a matter of weeks into college. I found that I got to know people purely by chatting to those sitting around me at lectures and then hanging around with them in the canteen afterwards at lunch or whatever. Once you get one or two people the circle will grow wider without you really having to try.

Hang in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Anatom wrote: »
    Fair enough, but at this stage the OP is only a matter of weeks into college. I found that I got to know people purely by chatting to those sitting around me at lectures and then hanging around with them in the canteen afterwards at lunch or whatever. Once you get one or two people the circle will grow wider without you really having to try.

Hang in there!

They're not a matter of weeks into college, it's nearly Christmas which means half the year is nearly gone. Not everyone is extroverted or confident enough to just start chatting to people in lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I was super shy when I started in college, but it seemed like a good opportunity as any to work on that. I recommend the Literary & Debating society (two separate societies in a lot of ways) for the debating side – they're super good with new members, it's a small group and everyone was new once so they're really supportive, it's all about building your confidence.

(Now I am definitely less shy)

Easy to make suggestions and easier said than done obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LedZeppelin

I totally understand the difficulty you mentioned with clubs/socs. I joined a handful of them in my first year, but in the end I only stuck to one because I felt intimidated / out of 'the loop' from the initial meeting.
    On the plus side, societies bring together a heap of different people with at least one interest in common. I knew nobody coming to Maynooth and was a total introvert... but some of the friends I have now (none of which were in my class in 1st & 2nd year) are people I met at a society because I asked "So you're interested in this kinda stuff too?"

As for class nights out / parties, the size of your peer group will get smaller as the course goes on and you will eventually meet everyone without a night out. Don't feel pressured into going out and missing lectures the next morning; some of the people that focus too much on that side of things are the ones that won't make it to 4th year without a lot of stress and some repeat exams behind them.

First year can be a real challenge for most of us; new people, new surroundings, new material to learn.. so many things to get your head around.
    I'm sure there's a lot of people still settling into college and feel similar to you, but you'll get through it. Best of luck :)

Advertisement