Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major Roof Leak

• 19-11-2014 7:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hello everybody,

this is my first post so go easy on me.

I had a professional roofer build an A roof on a flat roof and he did ok apart from one or 2 major issues.
    I didn't check him for the final few days as I was elsewhere.
    Anyway there are 3 roofs all coming down to a 3 meter long flat valley. Inside this valley water is running through. He used 18 inch lead but is it possible there is still splash back up under the slates?
    At any rate the water should not be coming through the felt so that is a big problem.
    Another issue with this is a flat valley should in theory have an inch or 2 of a fall out. But, the fall is actually going back.In toward the 2 valleys coming down. This results in a constant puddle in the lead of the flat valley.
    I do a bit of carpentry and I am not impressed.
    I have ripped away underneath and have access to the barge boards. You can see it with your eye that its sloped the wrong way.
    What might my options be? The roof is now complete and slated. The roofer is not coming back. I need to get this sorted. Is it possible to push up the barge boards at the end without spoiling the slates?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Get him back end of story it sounds like a crap job sorry to say that but he cannot get away with that .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Jim1000

carpenter,

thanks for reply.

Of course getting him back is the logical step but short of bringing him to court he will not be coming back. He has told me so. I still owe him a little money and offered to pay him if he sorted this out but he refuses.
    Meanwhile I have water coming into the house so need to sort something.
    I have no qualms about hiring another roofer but practically what can be done? I do not want to go messing too much with the roof in this weather.

thanks again

Where are you based ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Jim1000

east county galway

Sorry I cannot help but if I was you get fixed now because the bad weather is only starting and if we get a big snow fall things might get messy there is a roofer called roofer pete just search his name or a chap called galway guy they might be able to help you .

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Unfortunately Jim there is no quick fix in this situation. You flatter the carpenter bycalling him professional. Imo there should be at a minimum of two foot lead used in this valley, split in two sections, falls in both(the right way), step in the middle.

To do it right you will have to strip enough courses of slates off to form the valley properly, lead and reslate. 2/3 days work for a carpenter that knows what he is at. Worth it in the long term.

Advertisement