Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time wax

Options
  • 19-11-2014 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm going to book myself my first waxing ever - a hollywood. I have skin that can be a teeny bit sensitive, and I'm very worried about the pain as I'm generally a bit sensitive to pain.

Can anyone recommend where to go in Dublin (city preferably) to get this done? Preferably for less than €50 too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I recommend Wax in the City on South William St. €36 for a Hollywood. You could take a couple of paracetamol before you go in and just try relax and you'll be fine. The girls there are really nice so you'll be put totally at ease. I've been getting hollywoods for years and it really doesn't hurt, just the 'middle part' can sting a little but it's over in two seconds.

The more waxing you do, the finer the regrowth will be over time so as well as getting longer between waxes you'll find your waxes are quicker and don't hurt at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I wouldn't recommend a Hollywood if it's your first wax. Try a Californian first to see how you get on. It is painful esp. at the intimate parts. Try somewhere that does lycon wax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

jadie wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend a Hollywood if it's your first wax. Try a Californian first to see how you get on. It is painful esp. at the intimate parts. Try somewhere that does lycon wax

I get what you're saying, but it's a little late to back out now! I mean the regrowth was one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life, and I don't know that I can go through it all over again. I mean, I know after waxing I'll eventually have regrowth but at least it should be a bit better. Maybe. I really want to get rid of the hair now, and I don't think I can just go with a Californian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I recommend not going to somewhere that does the strip bikini waxing. It's so sore.
    Lycon waxing all the way. I only go to brazillia.

Awh, I was going to go to Wax in the city on Thursday. The prices from Brazilia and the other Lycon place are much more expensive than Wax in the city. wtf. Brazilia is €55!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Ive been to Wax in the City and Brazilia.

Wax in the City is cheaper and it was fast. Not painful. However, i got an angry red rash for days after and coz of that i would NEVER go again. It was horrible. Obviously that mustnt happen to everyone or they wouldnt run a business.

Brazilia is great. Lycon wax is fab, no rash and perfect finish. Its 40e i think for maintenance. I havent been in a couple of months as my usual girl Sophie left (anyone know where?) she was great. Hate having to start with a new person.

So, id go for Brazilia if you have the money otherwise chance Wax in the City, if it works for you the saving will be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 beautyexpert

I would recommend The Buff Day Spa beside the Gaiety for waxing. They use Lycon wax there; personally I don't like any other wax and had bad experiences with another brand before. I went to a girl called Niamh; she was great and made me feel at ease when I was very nervous.
    It was €55 which I know is over your budget but they gave me a loyalty card; after 7 waxes, you receive the 8th free and theres no expiry so you don't have a limit on when it has to be used. I told the receptionist that I was going away for a few months in January and she reassured me that I can hold onto the loyalty card and use it again when I'm back in Spring 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

i can get my whole muff lasered for €50 a go, thats in meath though, maybe check the prices in dublin?

So the Lycon is really that much better? Guess I'll have to shell out for the first time, while I figure out how I fare

Gongoozler wrote: »
    So the Lycon is really that much better? Guess I'll have to shell out for the first time, while I figure out how I fare

In my opinion the lycon is definitely much better. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 beautyexpert

Its so much better, its worth the extra bit of money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

It really isn't that painful... I'd recommend urbana - the girls are great chat away as if they were doing your nails - it really doesn't phase them, my only issue with them is the speed at which they do it, I go to a place in a different county now and find the lady who does it takes a good 40 mins and seems to do smaller sections and I really feel it lasts longer and I get fewer ingrown hairs. I've often been in and out of urbana in 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

i can get my whole muff lasered for €50 a go, thats in meath though, maybe check the prices in dublin?

Not everyone is a suitable candidate for lasering, alas. I'd have had my entire body lasered over ten times over for the money I've spent on waxing over the years. Unfortunately, my hair isn't dark enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Not everyone is a suitable candidate for lasering, alas. I'd have had my entire body lasered over ten times over for the money I've spent on waxing over the years. Unfortunately, my hair isn't dark enough.

aw crap yeah, that's a pity, its so handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paulmcintyre

Hi GG2, Thank you for your kind comments about our company Urbana.

We would just like to take this opportunity to clarify that a full Brazilian / Hollywood wax takes around 30 - 40 minutes to complete (depending on the client) at Urbana if you are not a regular waxer.

We do also offer a discounted maintenance wax that takes around 20 minutes for these areas which is probably the reason that your treatments only took around this time. Especially if you are a regular waxer (every 6-7 weeks)..

The normal time for a Brazilian / Hollywood wax in most clinics would be 30 mins for a first time waxer - if the wax is done using a hot wax such as lycon.. the time maybe quicker if strip wax is used in some areas (something we DO NOT use at Urbana on any sensitive areas such as bikini line)

GG2 - by replying to your comment we do not mean to be picky in relation to your comments and we really are grateful that you have left honest feedback in relation to your experiences at our clinics so others can benefit from them also. We just wanted to point out the differences and the reason why some waxes (especially bikini waxes) take longer than others. Thanks again for your kind comments.. Urbana

Ok so I went for a patch test today. She did it on my arm, three different types. I was like eep at each of them. So then she was asking what I was planning on having done, and I said a Hollywood. And she said she'd patch test on my bikini so I could see how painful it is for me. Haynes. Ok not horrendous but eep. She said that she'd recommend getting a californian instead for the first time. But then the girl at the desk was saying that it's not going to get easier, if I find it painful at that point it's not going to be any better second time.

So I'm booked in for later this week. Now in terms of pain relief/control, will nurofen do anything? And what is the feeling on having a drink or two before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I've always heard you should avoid alcohol and caffeine before a wax as it will make you more sensitive. Take a couple of pain killers about 30 mins before the wax and you should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Hi GG2, Thank you for your kind comments about our company Urbana.

We would just like to take this opportunity to clarify that a full Brazilian / Hollywood wax takes around 30 - 40 minutes to complete (depending on the client) at Urbana if you are not a regular waxer.

We do also offer a discounted maintenance wax that takes around 20 minutes for these areas which is probably the reason that your treatments only took around this time. Especially if you are a regular waxer (every 6-7 weeks)..

The normal time for a Brazilian / Hollywood wax in most clinics would be 30 mins for a first time waxer - if the wax is done using a hot wax such as lycon.. the time maybe quicker if strip wax is used in some areas (something we DO NOT use at Urbana on any sensitive areas such as bikini line)

GG2 - by replying to your comment we do not mean to be picky in relation to your comments and we really are grateful that you have left honest feedback in relation to your experiences at our clinics so others can benefit from them also. We just wanted to point out the differences and the reason why some waxes (especially bikini waxes) take longer than others. Thanks again for your kind comments.. Urbana

Hi Paul, really can't fault you or your team, and always recommend Urbana on these threads, but I still stick by my original comments!! Yes at times it was a maintenance wax but getting a maintenance wax in the salon I now go to still takes 40 mins and more and she does seem to do it in smaller sections. I think we may have to agree to disagree :D Still hasn't stopped me visiting Urbana when I'm in Dublin, its always my go to place when I'm not at home..... good job I have an alias on here:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Honestly the worst part for me is having to bring both your legs up towards your tummy. After that the first time was just embarrassment - girlfriend all up in my business, she saw everything, ain't no hang ups after that experience. I found the humiliation of that numbed me from any physical pain.

Second and subsequent times? It isn't a big deal anymore. Bits of it are "ow!" But mostly it's fine. I've never needed to take paracetamol before hand but you can definately do it. About twenty mins before.

Well I just want to update on this. I went to Eve at the Grooming Rooms for my first wax. The patch test went fine, so I booked myself in for the whole lot off.

I was nervous. Actually that's an understatement. I went into the room with this lady, who gave me a few minutes to undress. We started pretty much straight away. I was expecting some sort of chat, to put me at ease if nothing else, but that never came. Despite my efforts to get her chatty, it never came. She wasn't chatty, she wasn't warm or friendly.

It hurt. The looser skin near the top seemed to hurt bad, until then it came to the next part, which hurt awfully bad. And then the next part, which was really really bad. I didn't cry though, which is my thing, so I was proud of that. It was awful. Some parts weren't as bad as the rest, but 85-90% of it was awful. She didn't give me a minute to breathe in between strips of the, what she acknowledged were the worst parts. I would've liked a minute between to gather myself, but either this wasn't a good idea or I wasn't allowed, or she just wasn't very compassionate. I wasn't hoping for a full minute, just maybe 5-10 seconds of a break. She knew it was my first wax but didn't really seem to care or make any allowances for that.

I was quite tender for the evening after, swollen too. It eased off quite quickly I think though. At a glance I was happy with the result. That was until I had a bit of a feel and a closer look. I thought at first it might just have been a few stray hairs she missed, at a feel, but no, on closer inspection, she's missed fricking loads. Not so many dark hairs, but mostly light. And not even just really small ones. I started plucking but jesus there's only so much you can do of that down there. Besides, you can only pluck as far as you can see, which isn't very far.

€55 euro to have to pluck myself after. I am very annoyed.

Maybe it was because when we finished it had been 40 minutes, and that's all you get regardless, or maybe she didn't really care about doing a good job. Either way, I don't think it's good enough. When I left I thought, I don't think I'd go back there, purely from your one's lack of friendliness, but now I definitely wouldn't, since they can't even do the job properly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well I just want to update on this. I went to Eve at the Grooming Rooms for my first wax. The patch test went fine, so I booked myself in for the whole lot off.

I was nervous. Actually that's an understatement. I went into the room with this lady, who gave me a few minutes to undress. We started pretty much straight away. I was expecting some sort of chat, to put me at ease if nothing else, but that never came. Despite my efforts to get her chatty, it never came. She wasn't chatty, she wasn't warm or friendly.

It hurt. The looser skin near the top seemed to hurt bad, until then it came to the next part, which hurt awfully bad. And then the next part, which was really really bad. I didn't cry though, which is my thing, so I was proud of that. It was awful. Some parts weren't as bad as the rest, but 85-90% of it was awful. She didn't give me a minute to breathe in between strips of the, what she acknowledged were the worst parts. I would've liked a minute between to gather myself, but either this wasn't a good idea or I wasn't allowed, or she just wasn't very compassionate. I wasn't hoping for a full minute, just maybe 5-10 seconds of a break. She knew it was my first wax but didn't really seem to care or make any allowances for that.

I was quite tender for the evening after, swollen too. It eased off quite quickly I think though. At a glance I was happy with the result. That was until I had a bit of a feel and a closer look. I thought at first it might just have been a few stray hairs she missed, at a feel, but no, on closer inspection, she's missed fricking loads. Not so many dark hairs, but mostly light. And not even just really small ones. I started plucking but jesus there's only so much you can do of that down there. Besides, you can only pluck as far as you can see, which isn't very far.

€55 euro to have to pluck myself after. I am very annoyed.

Maybe it was because when we finished it had been 40 minutes, and that's all you get regardless, or maybe she didn't really care about doing a good job. Either way, I don't think it's good enough. When I left I thought, I don't think I'd go back there, purely from your one's lack of friendliness, but now I definitely wouldn't, since they can't even do the job properly.

Do you know I often think it's down to the person doing it. I have a silly thread here where I gave up eating my nails, and for motivation every week I didn't bite them I went to the nail bar in my local shopping centre just for a basic file and paint as I'd no clue how to deal with them. They were a bit sharp the first week as my nails were bitten to the quick, but they did their best and they motivated me and now two and a bit months later I'm fierce proud of my nails.

Then I got snotty and decided a beauty salon would do a better job as a nailbar in a shopping centre couldn't touch them.

So I tried two in my local area. The first one left me cold. The second one, I had someone I'd go to forever for my first two appointments (I go about once a week at the moment as I'm still learning to manicure my nails and fearful that I'll murder them)

Then I arrived in for shellac on the third appointment, hated the therapist and on getting home noticed blotches and raised dots on my nails.
    Went back a week later to have the shellac removed and redone and had THREE different therapists at my nails, and the last was the very one I'd had the week before.

End of the session, same blotches and dots, so I pointed that out and they asked me to come in next day which I couldn't do.

I literally went from hero to zero with them, and went back to the nail bar who remembered my silly journey from no nails to manicured nails and did the nicest job.

Am cancelling my appointment with the salon and back to the nailbar on xmas eve

The person doing the job makes all the difference

Gongoozler, that sounds horrific. Don't let it put you off though, just find someone who's much nicer and better at their job. I'd be going back if I had to shave/pluck.

Gongoozler, that sounds horrific. Don't let it put you off though, just find someone who's much nicer and better at their job. I'd be going back if I had to shave/pluck.

Glad to hear it's not the norm. My boyfriend says I should go back... but I dunno. I hate complaining in places.

Gongoozler it was your first time wax so hairs are all at different lengths therefore you might not get as clean a wax.
    Was it the hot wax or the strips that were used? You could make a quick phone call to say you weren't best pleased for that price. Sounds like she could have been nicer given the circumstances.

Blingy wrote: »
    Gongoozler it was your first time wax so hairs are all at different lengths therefore you might not get as clean a wax.
    Was it the hot wax or the strips that were used? You could make a quick phone call to say you weren't best pleased for that price. Sounds like she could have been nicer given the circumstances.

Well I dunno, if maybe it's normal to have a few so after your first wax. Lexie is a waxer afaik and she didn't say it was. It was hot lycon wax.

There should be no hair left with Lycon as it can go over the area many times to remove the finest of hairs, it should leave the smoothest finish. With regular wax you can only go over the area once, hence not getting all the hairs as they'd be at different stages. I would definately complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

To be honest the longer it takes to do the more painful it ends up being. I cannot stress that enough. Also if they slow down, it can make you more sensitive to the pain. The 1st one is usually awful in fairness so I wouldnt worry too much, the next one will be much better and you'll be less nervous.

I cant recommend Wax in the City enough, cheap, quick and the least painful place I've been. Its a German company and they are so efficient!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Glad to hear it's not the norm. My boyfriend says I should go back... but I dunno. I hate complaining in places.

I really think you should tbh, how will the manager/owner ever know people are unhappy otherwise?

Stheno wrote: »
    I really think you should tbh, how will the manager/owner ever know people are unhappy otherwise?

Yeah I should. I suppose it's just that they'd have have a look to see what I mean, and really I don't want to argue about it. Plus if the first girl didn't see anything wrong with it then maybe the manager wouldn't either. I suppose the worst that could happen is they say they don't see anything wrong with it

• Advertisement

Ok I've rang to talk about it, and they booked me in for a tidy up. I really shouldn't have plucked all the longer hairs....

Advertisement