Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Chicken legs

Options
  • 19-11-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I have had 1 large chicken leg in the over for 45 minutes at 220 degrees.

Middle Shelf and the oven set to match.

When I pierce the chicken to check the Center is oozing blood??

Does a bloody chicken leg take 45+ minutes to cook????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Maybe you had not pre-heated the oven before putting in the chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Maybe you had not pre-heated the oven before putting in the chicken?

I did per-heat the oven and used the ovens instructio for specifically chicken.

I bought it in a certain store and it was their own brand. Wont be buying it again as the chicken was not the best.

Ive bought better for less money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

To be honest I can't imagine how the quality of the chicken would affect the cooking time. Was it the leg very cold going in? Is your oven definitely behaving itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

To be honest I can't imagine how the quality of the chicken would affect the cooking time. Was it the leg very cold going in? Is your oven definitely behaving itself?

It was left to defrost but would have been cold going in but no frozen. I did read on line the the blood may not be blood but a substance within the bones. If the bone splits it can release a blood like substance even if fully cooked!!

I checked the oven recipe booklet and I was on the correct setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've had something along those lines happen when I put a very cold chicken thigh into the oven (but mine was a bit frozen), as in I poked it with a skewer to see if it was cooked and it spit blood at me, I think there was a pool of blood in the meat from a broken bone that had juuuust defrosted when I jabbed it. Urgh. If your meat is cold going into the oven it definitely takes longer to cook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It was left to defrost but would have been cold going in but no frozen. I did read on line the the blood may not be blood but a substance within the bones. If the bone splits it can release a blood like substance even if fully cooked!!

I checked the oven recipe booklet and I was on the correct setting.
    The part I highlighted is the bit that sticks out at me, even when the outside is defrosted the inside could still be frozen or near enough.
    Air conducts heat pretty poorly so it can take a long time for heat to penetrate to the centre of a chicken thigh.
    The bone won't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

There is no blood in the chicken, at least there shouldn't be, its myoglobin and does not mean that your chicken is under-cooked, if you get no myoglobin out of the meat, you have probably cremated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Personally I cook chicken pieces (legs or bone and skin-on breasts) in the oven for around 30 mins at 180 (fan). If I put them in at 220, or even 200, for 45 mins, I'd be eating charcoal. This would be straight from the fridge too. If it was me I'd be checking my oven out with the help of an oven thermometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I deeply score thick chicken pieces. Also allows more coating or marinate if you are using any.

Advertisement