Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitta PITA

Options
  • 19-11-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm getting a little bored with wraps, but various attempts to use pitta bread hasn't been very good, so is there a simpleton's guide to how to use pitta?

When I used it before, I would sprinkle it with water, then grill for a specified number of minutes. It would come out of the grill blown up like a balloon but immediately collapse down to flat again. Then any attempt to slice into it to create a pocket would be met with disaster, mostly of the 'knife comes out the side of the pitta' variety.

Wraps don't give me this sort of trouble, or am I just buying cheap pittas and you get what you pay for? I've got a spiced beef salad defrosting at home (well the spiced beef is defrosting, the salad is fresh) and would love to grill up a few pittas and stuff them right up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

You seem to be doing OK until you involve the knife.

I use a sharp serrated bread knife with large teeth. Never use the tip of the knife, just run the teeth of the knife along the very edge of the pitta, if the inside is blown up there's no bread to cut in the middle.

Mind your fingers, pitta steam is hotter than the fires of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Ah, so it's just a matter of slicing the edge sort of? That's where I went wrong, I was plunging the knife in.

(Need a d'oh smiley)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

corblimey wrote: »
    Ah, so it's just a matter of slicing the edge sort of? That's where I went wrong, I was plunging the knife in.

(Need a d'oh smiley)

Disclaimer: That trick may only work with just the right knife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Put in toaster, cut, done. I would never have considered pittas to be in any way awkward to work with :confused: And I buy the cheapest ones I can find. Don't stick the knife in far enough for it to come out the other side...simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

If you cut around it as opposed to through it, it will work for you. I nearly always toast it then cut it into fingers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I use a scissors to cut the top off and then open it up to spread with butter. Then stuff it with whatever. Love toasted pitta...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I use a scissors to cut the top off and then open it up to spread with butter. Then stuff it with whatever. Love toasted pitta...:D

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Guys you are doing it wrong. I grew up eating this . You pop in the the toaster ( ideally you heat it over bbq) , it blows up, then you CUT IT IN 2. ( Creating 2 semi-circles). Then put halumi and tomato inside No fancy knife needed. Some pitas are too thin, or badly made, they will not blow up - buy a different brand next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No doubt people are tired of hearing me go on about them but the Aldi wholemeal Mediterranean wraps are delicious.
    They're somewhere between a pitta and a wrap (tortilla).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

No doubt people are tired of hearing me go on about them but the Aldi wholemeal Mediterranean wraps are delicious.

I like to treat them like pizza bases....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

I love them, they're delicious, even on their own with no filling. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

beaten to it again! :p
    I like to treat them like pizza bases....
    yep, they're great to use as wraps, soft tortillas (for burritos etc.) and make excellent personal pizzas and for anyone on slimming world, they qualify pretty much exactly as your HEB for the day and an extra one is only about 4-5 syns. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The wraps are also excellent for falalafel.

I used to use pittas for pit-za but you must must must pierce them, otherwise teh toppings all slide off when it puffs up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tks all. I've got those Aldi wholemeal wraps on my list for next week, but I wonder if pitta bread can be used like a wrap aswell, just sort of wrapped around the food without cutting it open?

This is what kicked me off on pitta this week.

http://brunchtimebaker.com/2014/05/03/quick-and-easy-chicken-gyros-with-tzatziki-sauce/

The pictures aren't overly clear, but it looks to me like the pitta is wrapped around the gyros rather than enveloping it? Is that just another way to eat pitta, or is this really just the only way one should prepare gyros :p?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

corblimey wrote: »
    The pictures aren't overly clear, but it looks to me like the pitta is wrapped around the gyros rather than enveloping it? Is that just another way to eat pitta, or is this really just the only way one should prepare gyros :p?

That's probably Khobz flatbread rather than pitta. They are lighter than pitta and used to wrap food rather then stuffed. You can pick them up at middle eastern shops. Heat them by throwing them on the gas burner and turning every few seconds.

Advertisement