Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to permanently set default web browser?

Options
  • 19-11-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭

Had to reinstall all my apps after a phone repair, running 4.1.2 on Samsung S3 Mini.

Every time I click on a link in (e.g.) Twitter, I get a popup screen asking me if I want to use 'Internet' (blue globe) or 'Chrome' and whether this option should be 'Always' or 'Just Once'.

If I select one of the browsers (doesn't matter which one) and 'Always', it tells me to 'Clear default app settings by going to Settings > Application manager > All' but I have no idea what to do when I get to that menu - all I can see is a list of apps. If I look in the options for Twitter, Chrome or the default Android Browser, there is a greyed out button to 'Clear Defaults' which is not operational???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Have you ticked the always for ther browser that you want ?
    Have you come out of internet and then check link to internet from somethinging like facebook and verified it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Just go to Settings > Applications > Find "Internet" > Disable - this way Chrome is the only browser your phone can use.

EDIT: May not be possible on Samsung so when you get the prompt like below to choose Chrome or Internet, tick "Use by default for this action" and tap Chrome. The writing below is just a note to where these settings that be reverted.

18ixt438551uljpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you ticked the always for ther browser that you want ?
    Have you come out of internet and then check link to internet from somethinging like facebook and verified it worked.

It doesn't remember if I click on 'Always', would have thought that was implied by my query since I said that the popup comes up every time.
    advertsfox wrote: »
    Just go to Settings > Applications > Find "Internet" > Disable - this way Chrome is the only browser your phone can use.

EDIT: May not be possible on Samsung so when you get the prompt like below to choose Chrome or Internet, tick "Use by default for this action" and tap Chrome. The writing below is just a note to where these settings that be reverted.

No, I looked at the settings for 'Internet' and the 'Disable' button is greyed. I have no option anywhere to tick a box to 'Use by default'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

coylemj wrote: »
    It doesn't remember if I click on 'Always', would have thought that was implied by my query since I said that the popup comes up every time.

No, I looked at the settings for 'Internet' and the 'Disable' button is greyed. I have no option anywhere to tick a box to 'Use by default'.
    Can you show us a screenshot at the point where Twitter requests either Internet or Chrome please?

Advertisement