Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will unpaid ESB bill affect our mortgage application

Options
  • 19-11-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

The OH and I are looking to buy a house, we are thinking to apply for mortgage together. The problem is that she has unpaid ESB bills ( Apprx 800 euros ) under her name from about 2 years ago when she moved out of an apartment, I am wondering if this will have an impact on our joint mortgage application?

I know the bill should of been paid, but the people who she was sharing the apartment with have left the country and leaving her to pay the full bill. Obviously she didn't take that too well, as a result left the bill unpaid up to now. She did try to explain to ESB at the start ( 2 years ago ) about the issue and offered to pay her share but they only wanted the full payment. I believe the case was passed on to a debt collector about 1 year ago and she did receive a couple of calls from them but no agreement has been made. She has not heard anything from them for about a year now.

I am concious that the ICB report is important so paid on the ICB website to get the report for both of us and it was a clean report for her. I know this is probably because ESB is not a member of ICB.

So my questions is - do we go ahead and apply for the mortgage since we both have a clean ICB report? Or, should we try to pay off the ESB bill first then apply for the mortgage?

The areas we are looking for in Dublin will require a multiple salary from both of us so we are not really in a position to apply through my own salary.

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

You should be fine as ESB aren't part if the credit bureau. I believe the bank won't have any knowledge of it

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭tommyjin83

As long as the ICB report is clean you should be fine. I am open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Hi all,

The OH and I are looking to buy a house, we are thinking to apply for mortgage together. The problem is that she has unpaid ESB bills ( Apprx 800 euros ) under her name from about 2 years ago when she moved out of an apartment, I am wondering if this will have an impact on our joint mortgage application?

I know the bill should of been paid, but the people who she was sharing the apartment with have left the country and leaving her to pay the full bill. Obviously she didn't take that too well, as a result left the bill unpaid up to now. She did try to explain to ESB at the start ( 2 years ago ) about the issue and offered to pay her share but they only wanted the full payment. I believe the case was passed on to a debt collector about 1 year ago and she did receive a couple of calls from them but no agreement has been made. She has not heard anything from them for about a year now.

I am concious that the ICB report is important so paid on the ICB website to get the report for both of us and it was a clean report for her. I know this is probably because ESB is not a member of ICB.

So my questions is - do we go ahead and apply for the mortgage since we both have a clean ICB report? Or, should we try to pay off the ESB bill first then apply for the mortgage?

The areas we are looking for in Dublin will require a multiple salary from both of us so we are not really in a position to apply through my own salary.

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This will not affect your mortgage application whatsoever however she may have problems getting a connection from ESB in the future so best to put the electric bill in your name only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    As long as the ICB report is clean you should be fine. I am open to correction though.

This is correct once your ICB report is clean you are okay and should have no problems on your application.
    If a company is not a member of the ICB the any unpaid bills or loans wont show.
    You can see a full list of the ICB member on their site.

Advertisement