Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running related books you've read

Options
  • 19-11-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

I'm a voracious reader and when something grabs my interest, I'll grab any book I can on the subject. So I've been reading some running books lately, and just wondering what everyone else has read.

So far I've read:

Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes (Mind boggling!)
    Running, A Global History by Thor Gotaas (very interesting and informative)
    Running with the Kenyans by Adharanand Finn (brilliant, really enjoyed it)
    Born to Run by Christopher McDougall (interesting, great stories)
    Run or Die by Kilian Jornet (technically I started reading it but didn't finish)

And currently I'm reading:

Mo Farah: Twin Ambitions (autobiography)

So what books have you read or are on your list to read?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Running with the Buffaloes

Bowerman and the men of Oregon

Once a runner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Charlie Spedding : From last to first.
    a very enjoyable read

Chrissie Wellington : A life without limits.
    World champion triathlete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Ultramarathon Man - Dean Karnazes (ARTs favourite celeb runner. :p)

Running on Empty: An Ultramarathoner's Story of Love, Loss and a Record-Setting Run Across America. - Marshall Ulrich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Ruu wrote: »
    Ultramarathon Man - Dean Karnazes (ARTs favourite celeb runner. :p)

Oh right! I read that too ages ago. I'd forgotten already!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

RayCun wrote: »

Nice find! I should have done a search! I'm more looking to see what people have read, rather than what they recommend. Different enough to warrant a new thread? I don't mind if a mod wants to merge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 runinfinity

I've only read one running book so far, and that was 'Born to Run'. I loved it, really gave me great motivation.

Gerry Duffys stuff is next on my list, once winter kicks in properly and I start reading again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

• Registered Users Posts: 26 George Chinaglia

Best running books I’ve read:
    Running with the Buffaloes
    Feet in the Clouds
    Born to Run

Other good ones:
    The Perfect Distance
    Running with the Kenyans
    Sub 4:00
    From Last to First
    What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
    Pre

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I was just about to post mu surprise that no one had mentioned What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. Excellent book, and equally as interesting for aspiring novelists as well as runners IMO.
    Other than that one just Born to Run and Running With the Kenyans are also excellent reads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

The only one Ive read that I havent seen posted yet is "The Ghost Runner", its the story of John Tarrant bit of a sad story really, but very interesting read, would definitely recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

+1 for Feet in the Clouds. Just finished it today, great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

Eamonn Coghlan's (shadow written) Autobiography. An interesting read, with some great insights into the life of elite milers in the 70s and 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The Dirtiest Race in History by Richard Moore is a real page-turner. Highly recommend it. Fascinating insight into the characters behind the Johnson-Lewis rivalry.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Dirtiest-Race-History-Johnson/dp/1408158760

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

More than a running book, more an epic about the life of a very talented runner, I recently finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, the biography of Olympian Louis Zamperini who died recently - an incredible story of resilience in the face of unspeakable suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I also loved The First Four Minutes by Roger Bannister.

Charming book, but almost quaint to see what world class elite running was like in the 1950's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Anybody know when Stazza's book is out;)

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Haven't read *any* but I *bought* "Running with the Kenyans" by Adharanand Finn last summer, and it's on my stack of un-read books - hoping I'll have time for some reading over Christmas. I bought it in preference to "Born to Run" 'cos I'm not a barefoot disciple.

Movie-wise I am looking forward to "Spirit of the marathon" after the chat about it on the Novices thread last month.

That "Barry" book looks great by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Anybody know when Stazza's book is out;)

Which one?
    he has already co - written a book on sports massage therapy but you'll have to wait a little while longer for the other one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

One that stands out is 'Lillian' written by her fiancé, David Hemery. I read this about 10 times in the 1980s. An inspiring but ultimately tragic read. I read the Eamonn Coughlan one too, I was shocked by, but admired the honesty of, his revelation that at one of his nadirs, he briefly contemplated the 'what ifs' of doping.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Haven't read *any* but I *bought* "Running with the Kenyans" by Adharanand Finn last summer, and it's on my stack of un-read books - hoping I'll have time for some reading over Christmas. I bought it in preference to "Born to Run" 'cos I'm not a barefoot disciple.

Movie-wise I am looking forward to "Spirit of the marathon" after the chat about it on the Novices thread last month.

That "Barry" book looks great by the way!

I have no interest in barefoot running either but still really enjoyed Born to Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

dintbo wrote: »
    I have no interest in barefoot running either but still really enjoyed Born to Run.

I'd second that. Born to run is a great read, some interesting ideas about training but it's primarily a story telling exercise. Running with the Kenyans is in the same style but IMO not nearly as good.

Advertisement