Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessible classroom - what to do next?

Options
  • 19-11-2014 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the Disability forum or here.

First a little background. Back in May my daughter (now 11) started complaining of pains in her left leg. Without boring you with all the details this has progressively worsened and now affects both legs to such as extent that we bought her a wheelchair to get around. It comes and goes but has become more frequent and severe as time goes one. We've seen two consultants, had a raft of blood tests and 2 MRI scans so far. Have two more consultants appointments coming up too. But nobody knows what's causing this yet. When she is in no pain she has full mobility and loves to run around. When she has a bad day she can't put any weight on her legs at all - hence the wheelchair.

In mid October I met with the principal of her school to explain the situation and that while she has good and bad days on bad days she requires the wheelchair. At that point we discussed the location of her classroom - it's on the first floor and there is no wheelchair access to that floor. She said that she'd look into moving the class to one of the ground floor classrooms - the ground floor is fully accessible.

On Monday I got a call from the school to take her home as she was in a lot of pain and couldn't walk. We hadn't brought in the chair that day as she was having a "good day". That evening I mailed the principal to ask her what stage moving the class to the ground floor was at. Her response was mind boggling - they've witnessed her playing in the yard and see no evidence that she cannot use the stairs. This was despite the class teacher apologising to me for letting her fall on the way to the stairs by letting go of her hand on Monday - she couldn't even reach the stairs never mind climb them. Also despite me telling her quite clearly that she has good and bad days but the bad days are more frequent and she cannot walk unaided during them. She said that before they even consider moving the class they want a letter from my doctor. I pointed out in reply that the school had called me to take her home due to her inability to walk and she was out of school yesterday (and today) as she cannot even stand and I'd have thought that enough "evidence" but told her I'd arrange the letter from our GP asap.

Now I have absolutely no confidence that the school will do anything to cater for my daughter in a timely fashion even when I give them the letter from the doctor - this is a confidence based my experience from 7 years in this school. Today I have spoken to the Equality Authority who recommended I send the school the form ES1 notifying them that I may take a case to the Equality Tribunal - this gives them 1 month to reply. The National Disability Authority don't advocate unless there's a diagnosis of a disability and we have no diagnoses yet - only symptoms. The National Advocacy Service is only for over 18s. I'm waiting on a call back from the Special Needs Parents Association. I've also mailed the chairperson of the board of management but don't expect any satisfaction from that area either.

Is there anything else I can do to make the school provide what is referred to as "reasonable accommodation" in the Equal Status Act? Moving one class downstairs and one other upstairs would not be that difficult in my opinion - apart from the initial disruption - and I'd even do the physical moving myself in an evening or weekend if needed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

On second thoughts the AMD forum is probably better for this query.

Thread moved from Parenting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I would suggest a formal registered letter to the school, requesting the Reasonable Accommodation of the ground floor classroom. The Principal's response is mind-boggling, and you're are right to call it out. It maybe more to do with trying to avoid disruption than anything else. I don't think it is hugely unreasonable of the school to look for some kind of medical certification, whether from a doctor or OP. This could be as much to do with being sure that your child can manage in the downstairs classroom, as much as anything else. Your idea of helping with moving stuff is a good one, but you shouldn't have to take all that on yourself. I'm sure you could get help from a few other parents, or a Parents Association for this. It might help to reassure the Principal if you spell this out.

I guess your daughter is in 5th class or 6th class. If 6th, the Principal might be thinking about trying to put off the problem for a few months, so you might have to put on a bit of pressure for an early solution. Make contact with the parents on the Board of Management too.

The parents on the BoM would be useless - trust me, I know them. I have spoken to the chair of the PA who has requested a policy from the BOM for situations such as this - I can't believe there is none already but there you have it.

We delivered the letter from the doctor this morning. I sent a further email yesterday where I asked what "reasonable accommodation" would be provided once the letter was received. I'm just written another email post-doctor's letter. My partner is currently reviewing it to make sure that a) the tone is ok and b) I've not missed anything. I want to keep this completely professional obviously but emotions can get in the way hence a second set of eyes before I send it.

It's not hugely unreasonable to ask for a doctor's letter. But this should have been requested a month ago when I met her and she indicated that it wouldn't be a problem - not this week only after I contacted them again to seek an update. The principal herself had to pick up my daughter in her car from an outside activity last Friday as she was unable to get back to the school unaided and she fell in the presence of her teacher trying to reach the stairs on Monday - saying there is no evidence is a bare faced lie.

Meant to add - moving the furniture would be no problem - one email and I'd could have 10 men there on Saturday to help easily - half my scouts would some along to help too. I wouldn't be doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi,
    Sorry to hear of your daughters condition. I think the school/principal is in a very awkward situation here. Having to move two classes, teachers, equipment etc. mid-term is a huge inconvenience to all. Without a confirmed medical diagnosis and it being an intermittent condition, I can see their reluctance to accommodate at the present moment. Perhaps the letter from your doctor will clarify matters and encourage them to make the appropiate decision as soon as possible.
    In the past, I have found schools and colleges very helpful in accommodating children/students with disabilities and doing their utmost to promote inclusion and acceptance.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »
    Meant to add - moving the furniture would be no problem - one email and I'd could have 10 men there on Saturday to help easily - half my scouts would some along to help too. I wouldn't be doing it myself.
    Great, make sure the Principal is aware of this.
    Orion wrote: »
    The parents on the BoM would be useless - trust me, I know them. I have spoken to the chair of the PA who has requested a policy from the BOM for situations such as this - I can't believe there is none already but there you have it.

The parents on the BoM might seem 'useless', but they are probably the ones who will end up making the decision, or having significant influence on the decision. It would be a shame if they make the decision without having heard your side directly. Meet them for a coffee or some other chat. Don't expect any commitment or immediate agreement - just meet them and explain the issue fully.

Finally the chairperson got back to me last night. They are moving the class on Monday. But only after a series of more and more formal emails with documentation and terminology taken straight from the Equal Status and Disability Acts.

Eph1958 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear of your daughters condition. I think the school/principal is in a very awkward situation here. Having to move two classes, teachers, equipment etc. mid-term is a huge inconvenience to all. Without a confirmed medical diagnosis and it being an intermittent condition, I can see their reluctance to accommodate at the present moment. Perhaps the letter from your doctor will clarify matters and encourage them to make the appropiate decision as soon as possible.
    In the past, I have found schools and colleges very helpful in accommodating children/students with disabilities and doing their utmost to promote inclusion and acceptance.
    Good luck.

Well in the past I've found this principal to be extremely frustrating to deal with - and that's me being polite. Which is why I included the chairperson at the earliest opportunity. Any awkward position is of her own making. Other parents have taken their children out of the school because of this person.

Good to hear it worked out.

Advertisement