Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time seasonal work

Options
  • 19-11-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone could help me with some info, has anyone ever been in this situation that might know.....

I've been offered some part time work for the Christmas season, in Boots, it's due to start next week and finish up around the first week of January.

I've been on JSA for a few years now and this has been my first successful interview since then so I am delighted.

I've being trying to get some information from welfare.ie. about working part time and still being entitled to some sort of reduced payment from them but all I keep seeing is that I can work up to 24 hours per week(I presume that this has to be completed in a certain number of days) and the part time job has to be for at least 2 months.

Does anyone know how it will work in my situation? The job will be 20 hours per week, probably spread over the week, and will only be for about 6 weeks. Am I still entitled to receive any sort of welfare benefit? If I can't I'll be working at a loss, getting paid less than what I receive from JSA and having to travel 30 miles for the job.

Isn't it shocking that this is the society we live in, being better off signing on than working. 😌

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kendoi

HI lisamd if you work more than 3 days a week you will not receive any Jobseekers allowances –
    The rule is that if someone finds part-time work and that work is 3 days or less than that person may apply for jobseekers allowances as long as that person can show that he was and is looking for full time work but could only fond part-time work.
    Even if you work one hour a day - than that day is seen by the DSP as a day of work.

The Department of Social Protection operates a fast-tracking system for customers in receipt of Jobseekers Benefit and Allowance who sign-off to take up work for a short period of up to 8 weeks.

If you have been offered full-time employment, including work for 4 days or more per week, for up to 8 weeks you will not qualify for a Jobseeker’s payment for this period but you may benefit from the Fast Track process.

The Fast Track system allows you to sign back on to your claim without the need to go through the process as a new claimant and ensure that your original Jobseeker’s payment is re-instated without delay. To avail of the Fast-track process you must inform the local Social Welfare Office/Intreo Centre in advance that you are taking up work.

For more information on Fast Track - search Google

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lisamd

Thanks so much, that has been very helpful, I did not know about the fast track system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Just to clarify re seasonal work. You need to bring a letter from your employer into sw office stating how many weeks you will be working. If its 8 weeks or less then your claim will be payment suspend for that period and you will just have to call into your local office with P45 when you finish up. If the employment is for longer than 8 weeks then your claim will be close and you will have to make a repeat claim. Its very important to have info from employer giving a start and stop date otherwise you claim will be closed.

eastbono wrote: »
    Just to clarify re seasonal work. You need to bring a letter from your employer into sw office stating how many weeks you will be working. If its 8 weeks or less then your claim will be payment suspend for that period and you will just have to call into your local office with P45 when you finish up. If the employment is for longer than 8 weeks then your claim will be close and you will have to make a repeat claim. Its very important to have info from employer giving a start and stop date otherwise you claim will be closed.

Will my payment be completely suspended even though the work is only 20 hours per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Its days not hours. If you work more than 3 days per week then you will not get any payment. If its 3 days or less it will still be suspended as it will be changed to casual for the time period and you will need to have forms completed by your employer and your means from work will need to be assessed and you will be give forms to submit every week yourself countersigned by your employer.

• Advertisement

eastbono wrote: »
    Its days not hours. If you work more than 3 days per week then you will not get any payment. If its 3 days or less it will still be suspended as it will be changed to casual for the time period and you will need to have forms completed by your employer and your means from work will need to be assessed and you will be give forms to submit every yourself countersigned by your employer.

Great I understand it a lot better now, thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rdl85

Hi! With regard to what the welfare were saying to you, there is a part-time job scheme/intiative for the long term unemployed, under that scheme you are entitled to work part time up to 20hrs a week (not 100% about the exact figure! Sorry) and the job has to last at least two months....I presume it was this scheme that they were on about....not much help to you I know as I see you said your part time work is only for 6wks. Best of luck :-) see: welfare.ie/en/Pages/Part-Time-Job-Incentive-Scheme.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

Hi All my son is 16 and just started work in a pub only on Saturday night form 9pm till 3am . He was told he has to work from 1am till 3 am for nothing ?? did anyone know whats that about in the pub trade..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

irish gent wrote: »
    Hi All my son is 16 and just started work in a pub only on Saturday night form 9pm till 3am . He was told he has to work from 1am till 3 am for nothing ?? did anyone know whats that about in the pub trade..

There's no provision for this in any trade. Is this lock in hours? As in illegal drinking?

His pay would probably be 70% of adult minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rdl85

irish gent wrote: »

Young persons under 18 are not meant to work past 11pm in a licensed premises......also can't serve alcohol....maybe this has something to do with them saying he won't get paid for those hours. Found this info on the citizens information page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 kendoi

Hi Irish gent - my Understanding is that all employers must observe employment law – the is no law that says employees should work for nothing – no matter what age they are

Young persons under 18 are not meant to work past 11pm in a licensed premises

The actual hours worked or available for work and paid
    "Working hours" include

Overtime
    Travel time where this is part of the job
    Time spent on training authorised by the employer and during normal working hours

"Working hours" does not include:
    Time spent on standby other than at the workplace
    Time on leave, lay-off, strike or after payment in lieu of notice
    Time spent travelling to or from work

All employees are entitled by law to a payslip. A pay slip is essentially a statement in writing from the employer to the employee that outlines the total pay before tax and all details of any deductions from pay.
    Young people aged under 18 are only guaranteed up to 70% of the national minimum wage which is €6.06 per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

Thanks you for that info i'm going in to them now ..

Advertisement