Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far do you travel?

Options
  • 19-11-2014 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

When I was living in Limerick, it was a 5 minute drive to my nearest livery yard. In Dublin of course that all changes due to shortage of facilities and high costs, and I now drive 25 minutes to my livery yard.

Interested to see how far you all travel to your livery yards/riding schools, and also how far you'd be willing to travel for better facilities, atmosphere, price etc even if there were yards closer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I keep mine at home but the odd time I've used livery it would have been 20 -30 mins away.

I however would not travel anymore than that now due to family commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I'm also in Dublin but keep them in Kildare, I just found Dublin prices phenomenal for what you're actually getting.
    So I drive an hour there and an hour back
    But I have access to a fab huge arena, with an exceptionally brilliant surface (big thing for me, never floods even in heavy rain) cross country, gallops, boxes are clean, fields aren't over used and there's a large covered walker. I also have lessons from a grand prix showjumping rider and staff are extremely knowledgeable. Horses are turned out all day then in at night. (again huge thing for my stressy gelding)
    Couldn't get the same in Dublin, let alone at the price I pay..

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

20 mins. there are closer yards but i love the yard i'm on now, so I don't mind the extra drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

This is really interesting. It seems to be a trend in us horsey folk :) Lots of yards nearby but people willing to travel far and wide to get better facilities and better care for their horse for their money.

How did you balance the cost of driving further plus the cost of your livery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Yard is on way to / from work so I go straight from work so no extra travel time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I travel 25 to 30 minutes to the riding school I use in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shellbean

I live in Dublin, keep my horse in a livery yard in Wicklow, 25 minute drive, 40 mins during the week with traffic. Needed somewhere I could get grass livery and use the facilities. Go down about 4-5 times a week, would go every day but its costing me a lot in diesel. I know the livery yard check on my horse every day so my mind can rest easy on the days I'm not there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We all moved yard (long story) so now I'm about 5 mins from our yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    How did you balance the cost of driving further plus the cost of your livery?

For what I am paying I'm saving 40 per horse a week( I have two) at least so I can put that onto diesel, compared to paying higher prices in Dublin. I had a large jeep which I sold and now have a more economical car. There is transport in my yard which works out cheaper and I never managed to get round to getting a box and licence. The cost of keeping the jeep (2.5 litre private tax) was really hurting so I got rid of it, particularly as I wasn't pulling and it seemed to be very expensive on parts when something went wrong

I'm close to two very big show grounds so it couldn't be better, and I can go school there when I need to for something different.

Kildare is really horsey country so I have the best of everything nearby to the yard!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

I'm also living in Dublin and get a bus down to my yard in Kildare, takes 50 mins to an hour when there's no traffic, and up to an hour and a half at busier times. The yard is amazing, horse gets amazing care, and we're very close to lots of our horsey friends for going hacking, so it's well worth it for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement