Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn with bronchiolitis

Options
  • 18-11-2014 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

As the title says. Our 3 week old has what seems to be a case of bronchiolitis, we were given an inhaler for him to use to try and clear it.

However he now doesn't seem to want to sleep at all on his back. When he have him sleeping on out chests he will sleep. But on his back in his Moses basket forget it.

Anyone have any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Vicxas wrote: »
    Hey all,

As the title says. Our 3 week old has what seems to be a case of bronchiolitis, we were given an inhaler for him to use to try and clear it.

However he now doesn't seem to want to sleep at all on his back. When he have him sleeping on out chests he will sleep. But on his back in his Moses basket forget it.

Anyone have any tips?

On his side?

Go with sleeping on your chest until it clears?

He is probably uncomfortable and needs reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We ended up in hospital with pneumonia at 4.5 weeks: to give me even a 5 minute break the nurses would prop her in an almost sitting position; they can't clear the phlegm any other way and it really hurts them to lie flat it's so painful. I'd go with on your chest until it clears. You could try prop the cot but if they are sick and miserable they will want to be near you. Plus they will mimic your breathing a bit which will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My daughter used to sleep on my chest as a newborn. I found a way of half propping myself up with pillows and put pillows under my arms so she wasn't completely flat and my shoulders weren't being strained. She had bronchiolitis when she was 9 weeks old. She couldn't lie flat when she had that so she was propped up to sleep all the time until she recovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Let her sleep on you. She's sick and needs comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mickyoc85

Hi All,

Looking for some reassurance/advice please.

My daughter is in hospital the past 3 weeks with viral bronchiolitis.
    She is 3 months old.
    I am getting a little frustrated at this stage as she is still on oxygen support
    granted its onlu .1 of a litre but her stats struggle when she is taken off it for a period of time.

The consultant has done chest xrays which are all clear thank god and
    she had a heart scan in Crumlin last week which again was all clear.

Has anyone here had any experience with their kids and have had the virus as long as this??

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 joanene

hi mickeyoc
    sorry to hear your lo is in hospital....its such a worrying time for you with a baba that small.

im afraid i have no advice or experience with this. but i have an 11 week old with a very bad cold/cough/congested and worrying about him.
    how did your little ones symptoms start?

my fella is so out of sorts, not feeding well either.

Advertisement