Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualified Adult and Part Time Seasonal Work

Options
  • 18-11-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been offered part time work for the Christmas period. I am currently a Qualified Adult on my partner's JSA claim.
    I know that as a QA, I am allowed to work as many days as I like and that my earnings will then be factored into the means test for what we can claim.
    Does anyone know how this works? Does my partner, or myself, need to go into SW before I start work and inform them, or will there be some sort of automatic calculation done of the basis of the info from my PPS number? Does it work on a docket system for qualified adults, or is it somehow different as I don't have a claim in my own right? I start in a few days time so want to make sure everything is above board. I don't know what my hours will be yet, but it looks like they will vary from week to week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Your partner will have to go in and tell sw that you are getting some seasonal work. You will have to provide payslips as soon as they are available and your earnings will be assessed as means against your partners claim. When you finish this seasonal work you will need to furnish a P45 asap in order for the means to be taken off partners claim.

It differs from office to office so I cant say what your office will do but in view of the fact that you will not have regular days or hours it will be hard to assess means so scenario 1.. they may suspend your partners claim which would be very harsh...scenario 2.... they may just assess an over payment when you finish up seasonal job. Its best that your partner calls in asap and let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We'll go in tomorrow and see what they have to say. If they suspended his entire claim, then I wouldn't be able to take the job...a few hours a week on minimum wage wouldn't support us both :(
    Is there any reason why they wouldn't go week to week on a dockets system where I let them know the hours worked, and adjust accordingly?
    I guess (hope) I'll know tomorrow. I really want to take this work as I would hope to end up with a few more quid, while it's better than doing nothing while waiting for a full time job to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You cant send in dockets as it isnt your claim.

Advertisement