Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Bia Value for Money

Options
  • 18-11-2014 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

http://www.bordbia.ie/corporate/governance/reports/pages/annualreports.aspx

The 2013 Accounts for Bord Bia have been published only this week. Some large numbers flowing through this entity.

Farmer levy income is up nearly 600k for 2013, and theres an extra 120k cattle this year, so their farmer levy income is heading for €5.5 million, while beef farmers incomes are decimated. Surely theres a case to be made now for a significant reduction in the BB farmer levy and other levies to reduce the pain this this and similar organisations are continuing to enflict on farmers to support massive wages and pension costs of their employees.
    We also need more transparency around how much BB spending with RTE (akin to additional farmer TV licience), given they say theres a natural consumer inclination to buy local post horsemeat??

Page 65 shows Staff Payroll costs including Pensions of a whopping 11.5 million over 90 employees or 128 grand on average for each !!! While Primary producer of Beef, the farmer, who BB rely on to provide a product for them to market, continue to loose vast sums of money-and no pension!!.
    This entity needs to be put under a serious cost/benefit measurement and how much of these huge spend is benefitting farmer and how much is supporting processors. IF Processors are getting most of the benefit, then they should pick up 100% of the cost of this entity, not farmer or general tax system. I think this organisation needs rationalisation and a change in its funding model away from Government and farmer and towards processors/retailers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Are they taking CVs ? I could do with 128k a year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I may contact their marketing dept, have a perfect set for their next ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

How much does it cost to join bb?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

micraX wrote: »
    How much does it cost to join bb?

To become Bord Bia quality assured doesn't cost anything at the moment but I think some signs have to be bought for the farmyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

I thought that qa was just for meat? I'm talking vegetables. Is there not like a yearly subscription?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

micraX wrote: »
    I thought that qa was just for meat? I'm talking vegetables. Is there not like a yearly subscription?

QA is just for beef and sheep meat afaik. Every time a farmer brings cattle/sheep to a factory money is deducted from the cheque and given to BB. €1.90 for a cow I had killed earlier this year. The farmer has no choice in this.

Advertisement