Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What time of day do you run?

Options
  • 18-11-2014 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

I used to run in the evenings after work, but two months ago I made the switch to running in the mornings before work. It's been brilliant! I love the feeling of going to work knowing what I've already achieved, and it's a great feeling to get home after work and have the evening to myself.

What time of day do you run? 109 votes

Early morning
    0% 0 votes
    Mid-morning to lunchtime
    29% 32 votes
    Afternoon
    22% 24 votes
    Evenings
    7% 8 votes
    Late at night
    41% 45 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

sometimes the morning, into work or out early on the weekends
    sometimes afternoon, home from work
    club sessions in the evening, pretty much the only time I run after dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Should be an option for 'all of the above'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Should be an option for 'all of the above'.

Plus one. All of the above ! A few days a week I'd do two of those options in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Ososlo wrote: »
    Plus one. All of the above ! A few days a week I'd do two of those options in a day.

I kinda thought that might happen so I set the poll to allow more than one answer ;)

I kinda thought that might happen so I set the poll to allow more than one answer ;)
    Yeah, but that's five clicks instead of one. ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah, but that's five clicks instead of one. ;)

Aha. I see what you mean. Can't edit the poll unfortunately. Ah well, I live and learn! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'd say generally in the evenings but actually I run into work at least once a week and at weekends it tends to be in the mornings or afternoons; so like the others a bit of everything (except late at night).

I could close this thread and start a new poll?!

Aha. I see what you mean. Can't edit the poll unfortunately. Ah well, I live and learn! :o
    I'm only kidding. Those five clicks burnt nearly half a calorie. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Whenever I'm let

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mostly mornings because its the only time I can but given a choice I would always run at night, there is something about running in the dark when few people are around that I love.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Evening during the week, late morning (10-11am ish) at the weekend. I prefer to swim or go to spin class if I'm working out before work, I just don't run well at all early.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Runners World had an article on this; was pretty cool analysis of how different countries behaved very differently.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/what-time-of-day-do-people-run

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭forestman

when does evening stop and late at night kick in? :rolleyes:

I tried the whole running before work thing but I find myself way too weak to do anything of worth.

On the other hand, gym sessions for me are much better in the early am.

So mostly Evening/Night time and whatever time I feel like it at the weekends as long as I've a daycent brekkie in my belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I love the early morning runs. I find it sets me up nicely for the day at work, and I know I'm much more likely to give the run a miss after work. Already looking forward to the brighter mornings (I know, way too soon!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

My favorite runs have been late at night. Especially late at night, winter time, around christmas. Cold and calm, streets empty, the place lit up like a crimbo tree..........Perfect. Have gone out at 2am on a couple of occasions.

I like an early morning run for the same reasons. Streets are quiet (but not empty!), I still get to see some stars but I also get to see the sky start to brighten. It really sets me up for a good mood all day. I was saying to a coworker today that lately I'm nearly skipping up the road to work, smiling away to myself. Even on a Monday morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Id love to get my act together and run in the mornings. It would be job done for the day, plus going by Hollywood you'd be running into Harvey Specters all over the place ;)

But I do evening runs. I much prefer darker evening runs...there's fewer extendable dog leads to contend with! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

I used to run in the early morning about 5.30am but at the minute I'm enjoying my late evening runs. I actually look forward to unwinding after work with a run whereas before my run set me up for the day.. Now If only I had the stamina to run before AND after work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Tuesday: Late morning before work (around 11am)
    Wednesday: Early morning run (7ish), club session at night (7.30pm)
    Thursday: Evening after work
    Friday: Anytime depending on work
    Saturday: Morning session (11ish)
    Sunday: Morning (10am)

That would be a pretty atypical week in terms of training. Sometimes I will have an extra run in the mornings on a Thursday and Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

One Wednesday in April during my training for Waterford I was due to do a 12 mile mlr. Things were very busy at home with ferrying children here and there and then getting them to bed with the various bedtime stories etc! All of a sudden I realised it was 10 pm! I was sitting on the couch and going out for even a short run was the furthest thing from my mind. I even took a can of beer from the fridge ready to settle down before heading to bed! I didn't crack it open though. I began to have an argument with myself. I hadn't missed one session from the plan I'd been following and now here I was slumped on the couch, beer in hand, about to give in! Would I do the same when things got tough over the last 6 miles on the day? Lazy bast#rd! This went on for 15 min until I decided to get up of my lazy ass and get it done! It took another 15 to get togged out as I was still unsure about the whole thing. It was 10:40 pm by the time I got out! The run took a good bit longer than it should have because every time I heard a car approach I'd duck into a gateway to avoid being seen! The locals think I'm cracked enough as it is without being seen running the roads at all hours. The run was done and I even added an extra mile! When I got back I was thrilled. I hadn't given in and had done another quality training spin. And when things did get tough in Waterford I did think back to that night!

Advertisement