Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

upgrading to a 2nd hand car

Options
  • 17-11-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,088 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of trading in my 08 Astra diesel with high mileage to get an 12 reg diesel car.

What should I expect to pay for a 12 reg car?

Saw a Renault Florence and a Toyota Corolla which have reasonable mileage. If both were similar prices which is the better car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,431 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Fluence is bigger inside and better to drive and better equipped.
    They've got quite a decent reputation actually. It'd want to be a good bit cheaper than the Corolla though as the 1.4 D-4D has a better chance (IMHO) of doing big mileage without major panic than the 1.5 dCi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Out of the 2 I'd get the Corolla, there's other options out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,088 ✭✭✭✭phog

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Out of the 2 I'd get the Corolla, there's other options out there though.

I haven't really started looking yet but saw those two.

I was kind of set on Opel, Toyota or Ford but the Florence made me think of looking outside that group of cars. Might consider a Hyundai too not sure of anything else.

I think the Golf and Skoda are probably too expensive nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭greasepalm

are you going to be putting up mileage and driving on motorways as cars might have dpf system the biggest curse for many doing small mileage and short journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Have a look at the i30, it's a pretty decent car tbh.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    are you going to be putting up mileage and driving on motorways as cars might have dpf system the biggest curse for many doing small mileage and short journeys.

No idea what a dpf system is.

Very mixed mileage, daily run to work is just about 10km each way but annually I do over 30km

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Of the two I'd definitely have the Fluence. We have a 12 one from new and while it doesn't do a whole lot of mileage absolutely nothing has gone wrong.

Way better spec than the Corrolla of that vintage too with as far as I know:

-Bluetooth with A2DP
    -4 One touch windows
    -Cruise Control
    -Speed Limiter
    -A/C
    -Electric Mirrors
    -Steering column mounted radio controls

All as standard on the base model, 1.5 unit is reliable too.

Drove two automatic cars today

A 2012 Ceed estate and a 2012 Auris, how hard on fuel would either of these be. Tempted with the Ceed as it has a guarantee til 2019.

Also, I was offered a 2014 Nissan Note, smaller than I was looking at but might be tempted as very similar price to the Corolla and Ceed but both of these are two years older.

Any advice? :D

Which engine was in either car?

I would avoid any automatic Auris bar the hybrid.

Where did the automatic thing come out of?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Which engine was in either car?

I would avoid any automatic Auris bar the hybrid.

?

The Ceed has a 1.6 unsure about the Aurus and probably not interested in it really.
    Where did the automatic thing come out of?

Unsure what you mean?

Is it why am I considering it? Saw it and liked it, clean car, lowish milkeage, in my price range.

If you mean the history of the car, no idea bar salesman saying , one owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,186 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Were the Ceed and Auris petrol or diesel?

Just remember that the Kia warranty has limitations - 7 years or 150k km, whichever comes first. The Hyundai i30 which is the sister car of the Ceed has a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Were the Ceed and Auris petrol or diesel?

Just remember that the Kia warranty has limitations - 7 years or 150k km, whichever comes first. The Hyundai i30 which is the sister car of the Ceed has a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Diesel.

I didn't think about the limited warranty.

Cant see a 12 reg Hyundai around Limerick.

The auto box in the ceed/i30 is the traditional torque converter type, should be noted that its not quite as economical as the manual version.
    Its quite a nice gearbox, but if mpg is your bag, it mightn't suit.

Keep an eye out for ex rental stuff in automatic cars in this size.

Is the Auris one of those MMT thingies as opposed to a real automatic?

Anything from VAG with the DSG box are much nicer. You will pay for them though.

Yeah, that MMT/MM/Multimode (depending on the decade) is dirt.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is the Auris one of those MMT thingies as opposed to a real automatic?

Anything from VAG with the DSG box are much nicer. You will pay for them though.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, that MMT/MM/Multimode (depending on the decade) is dirt.

Losing me here now big time.:o

phog wrote: »
    Losing me here now big time.:o

The "auto" box in the Auris (non hybrid version) isn't really an automatic in the traditional sense, it's called MMT (Multi Mode Transmission). It's really a manual gearbox minus the clutch pedal. It's not very good though.

VAG cars such as Skoda, Seat, VW and Audi have an automatic gearbox called DSG which is way more advanced (and complicated) where it has a double clutch system which means the next gear is already selected before you use it which results in faster and smoother gear shifting. It can also be driven as either as a full automatic or in manual mode too.

I've a similar setup in my 5 Series, enjoy driving in manual mode without having to clutch pedal in/clutch pedal out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

what price are they

it might be cheaper to buy new

braddun wrote: »
    what price are they

How does that work? OP is looking at 2012 cars

braddun wrote: »
    what price are they

They're all in and around 10k with my own car (08 Astra, Diesel with 180k on clock)

I couldn't get near a new car for that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Cant see a 12 reg Hyundai around Limerick.

Really? I would have thought Limerick was riddled with them. Back around 2012 I would have thought they were the fastest car in that segment - all close between them and the Golf and focus I'd imagine though.

To get back to your original question if it purely came down to a choice between the Corolla and the Fluence I'd be inclined to go with the Corolla. I just don't think that 1.5 Renault diesel is a reliable motor. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057331530

Now granted Renault may have improved that engine since but not sure would I be convinced even if they did. A 12 one may be grand and if you owned from new and serviced and maintained it meticulously. If the car has an unknown history, even a 12 reg I'd steer clear. I think a car like the 1.5 Fluence if for example you were to use the incorrect grade oil even once it would most likely crucify you. Of course the same is true of the Corolla or any other modern diesel. However, I cant help but feel you would be more likely to get away with it in the likes of the Corolla. The litmus test is not now when its 2/3 years old, moreso as it gets older and the mileage builds - thats the proof in the pudding when the problems will materialise. On a side note I personally think the Fluence is a terrible looking yoke.

Corolla probably has got quite expensive compared to the younger rivals out there that offer long warranties such as Kia and Hyundai - not entirely sure as wouldn't be fully up to speed on the prices of all cars that new myself. Corolla should hold its value relatively well if maintained well though I reckon.

Astra ain't that popular, not a lot of them out there. Drove a 12 reg one briefly and it was alright in fairness, wasn't going to set the world on fire but did as I asked. Think it was a 1.3 diesel unit in it but open to correction. Interior was functional as you'd expect but nothing special. Not sure how they rate reliability wise. My own experience with Opels is that they tend to age and depreciate rapidly enough.

I would have traditionally considered them very very average cars at best. I just cant help but feel there must be better alternatives out there....

It would be a whole lot easier to recommend something if the OP told us their budget. I'd also try selling the Astra privately, with that mileage it will not fetch much as a trade-in as nearly all the franchised dealers will not resale it on their forecourt. Selling the Astra privately will also allow you to get a better deal on the 12reg car. You might also have to venture out beyond Limerick to surrounding counties for a better deal.

Ford Focus is worth looking at too:

media?xwm=y&id=ccf355ee-e21b-48e9-875e-a2ef2bf831fe&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/1.6-TDCI/57914042940999070/

media?xwm=y&id=50f6c92d-a02d-45de-9670-ef4fe58eb4ac&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/EDGE-1.6/82814110594831950/

media?xwm=y&id=79a76038-6910-480c-8cbe-e5611fd831b5&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/EDGE-1.6/45313976441628550/

My budget is about 10 -11k

I'm now down to a Ford Focus Zetec 1.6, Corolla or the Automatic Ceed.

All are 12 Reg diesel cars,

The Ceed has a longer warranty capped at 100k KMs, Corolla has one year warranty and the Focus has a 3 month warranty. All within a few hundred euro of each other but the Focus is the most expensive and just over my budget but I could stretch to it.

#Confused

Really? I would have thought Limerick was riddled with them. Back around 2012 I would have thought they were the fastest car in that segment

Sorry - looking back at my old post I meant fastest selling as opposed to fastest car - big difference.:)

The Ceed has a longer warranty capped at 100k KMs, Corolla has one year warranty and the Focus has a 3 month warranty. All within a few hundred euro of each other but the Focus is the most expensive and just over my budget but I could stretch to it.

#Confused

On the face of it I'd be leaning towards the Corolla but depends really on the specs and the mileage on all three individual cars. Auris might be more desirable to most than the saloon corolla. Is the focus a saloon or hatchback?

If you were able to provide links along with final price they want for the three individual cars allowing for your own as trade in that would be helpful...

#Confused

There is no way I would accept only a 3 month warranty on a 2012 car.

Advertisement