Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My parents are expecting me to go to college..

Options
  • 17-11-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I realise I've asked questions here god knows how many times but my minds going 90 miles per/h and my career guidance councillor doesn't like coming in...

My parents are expecting me to go to college no matter what, my father actually said 'well university's a given anyway' and the issue is the only college course I could genuinely see myself doing and enjoying is Medicine..

It's been on my mind an awful lot ad I had been thinking of working on an air ambulance or sar, Coastguard etc usually within that general area anyway..

And I'm not full sure it is feasible, but if I were to go to college/uni medicine is the only degree I could see myself doing..

It's sort of a one polar opposite to the other.. But I don't know what to do...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

You need to take a break from work and spend say an hour every day for a week just thinking about your strengths. What are you best at.

If it is sciencey or if you are a people person then Medicine might be the best thing for you. You need to build a target for yourself because at the moment you seem to be confused and feel like you are under pressure.

It might be a good idea to turn the stress down and just think about what you want to achieve in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Consonata wrote: »
    You need to take a break from work and spend say an hour every day for a week just thinking about your strengths. What are you best at.

If it is sciencey or if you are a people person then Medicine might be the best thing for you. You need to build a target for yourself because at the moment you seem to be confused and feel like you are under pressure.

It might be a good idea to turn the stress down and just think about what you want to achieve in life.

I've been trying to do what you mentioned and what I've been coming up with is; I want a fast paced job, I want a 'life and death' type of job.. I don't want to be potting around doing nothing, I want to be doing something and not just mindless tasks.. I want to have to think and I want to be elite, I mean I want to be the best I can possibly be'
    That's as far as I'm getting but it doesn't answer anything..

My main issue is I go immensely intense on an idea but I never end up following it through, I always find some reason for not doing my work and I really hate that I do it but I can't stop..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

If you are having trouble focusing that's a separate issue. We all have troubling getting our mind set at the task at hand and we all have our methods at combating that. You need to make a habit of when you get in from school "O.K now is homework time/study time"

On average it takes 30 Days to form a habit. Try and set the challenge for yourself, every day after school when you get in you do all the homework/study you need to do. After a month hopefully you should be on the right track.

Consonata wrote: »
    If you are having trouble focusing that's a separate issue. We all have troubling getting our mind set at the task at hand and we all have our methods at combating that. You need to make a habit of when you get in from school "O.K now is homework time/study time"

On average it takes 30 Days to form a habit. Try and set the challenge for yourself, every day after school when you get in you do all the homework/study you need to do. After a month hopefully you should be on the right track.

I've never heard of that 30 day habit theory, I'll try that because my issue is I drop it too quickly, my concentration is fine so long as I don't drop the task! (I I want to do it my focus is solely on the task)
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If your heart is set on medicine, you should look into general Science courses with a view to progressing on to medicine afterwards. Unfortunately, the Hpat is what makes or breaks your chances of medicine, but in saying that you need to be hitting 550 to have a chance of medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Sit down, and think. You say you want to do medicine. This is VERY vague, and you could get into medicine through multiple courses at the end of the day.

What do you like and enjoy about it? You want to do some research for new medicines? You want to be the general practioner who help your patients and clients?

Once you realise the core aspects, many more doors will become visible. Yeah, I know it's hard and possible to like everything about one course. I'm on the same boat.

Sit down, and think. You say you want to do medicine. This is VERY vague, and you could get into medicine through multiple courses at the end of the day.

What do you like and enjoy about it? You want to do some research for new medicines? You want to be the general practioner who help your patients and clients?

Once you realise the core aspects, many more doors will become visible. Yeah, I know it's hard and possible to like everything about one course. I'm on the same boat.

Honesty I have been thinking about it and I'm starting to think I like the aspects of helping people, the high adrenaline, and I'm not so sure about the administering of medication..

I had been thinking of working in the armed forces (as a diver as I like swimming am a qualified lifeguard, or sar as I'd enjoy that area) also but this still leaves me with the issue of parents expecting me to go to college no matter what degree I get

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Seanf999 wrote: »
    Honesty I have been thinking about it and I'm starting to think I like the aspects of helping people, the high adrenaline, and I'm not so sure about the administering of medication..

I had been thinking of working in the armed forces (as a diver as I like swimming am a qualified lifeguard, or sar as I'd enjoy that area) also but this still leaves me with the issue of parents expecting me to go to college no matter what degree I get

You're a big boy (or girl) now. They can't force you to do anything anymore. In saying that, not going to college closes a lot of doors for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I think so many people like the idea of studying health sciences but don't know what it involves . You have to prepare yourself ... Understand that everyday whether you study nursing , medicine , dentistry etc that you will be dealing with difficult patients , disease and telling patients bad news for the rest of your life .

Are you ok with doing cadaver labs every week . Dealing with real dead bodies ?
    There is a huge work load with all the health science .. After 3rd year it's 9-5.
    It will cut into your personal time .

Just saying that not everyone is suited to health sciences ... Some people just like the idea of it .. Get into health sciences for the right reason!
    Not for money , but as a vocation in which you can help people everyday :)

I don't blame your parents. As the years start to tick by, having a degree in anything becomes MORE VALUABLE than no degree. Even for simple jobs in a shop. Someone with a degree would have more sense(the employer would see that) and be seen as more reliable than no degree. Having a degree means you have done x, y and z which means you have these skills despite your field of study.

Back in the days, going to university was a prestigious thing. That's not the case anymore.

My family don't care what I do. I could not do anything and start a family, but no. I care about my future, and I realise that DOING SOMETHING is better than nothing.

People being successful with no formal education doesn't happen anymore unfortunately. If going to university doesn't appeal to you, go start learning to code as that skill is in high demand. :p

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I think so many people like the idea of studying health sciences but don't know what it involves . You have to prepare yourself ... Understand that everyday whether you study nursing , medicine , dentistry etc that you will be dealing with difficult patients , disease and telling patients bad news for the rest of your life .

Are you ok with doing cadaver labs every week . Dealing with real dead bodies ?
    There is a huge work load with all the health science .. After 3rd year it's 9-5.
    It will cut into your personal time .

Just saying that not everyone is suited to health sciences ... Some people just like the idea of it .. Get into health sciences for the right reason!
    Not for money , but as a vocation in which you can help people everyday :)

Truth is any career I could see myself doing is within that area, I don't know about medicine simply because I don't know if I'd rather administering medication/learning about medication or work in the lines of emergency care ie armed forces medic/coastguard etc..

I don't know and being 100% honest getting into medicine is a serious push for me, I'm doing ok in school I'm considered smart but being smart enough for medicine is another story

I don't blame your parents. As the years start to tick by, having a degree in anything becomes MORE VALUABLE than no degree. Even for simple jobs in a shop. Someone with a degree would have more sense(the employer would see that) and be seen as more reliable than no degree. Having a degree means you have done x, y and z which means you have these skills despite your field of study.

Back in the days, going to university was a prestigious thing. That's not the case anymore.

My family don't care what I do. I could not do anything and start a family, but no. I care about my future, and I realise that DOING SOMETHING is better than nothing.

People being successful with no formal education doesn't happen anymore unfortunately. If going to university doesn't appeal to you, go start learning to code as that skill is in high demand. :p

Believe it of not I actually know how to code! (Well I'm nearly fluent!) I'm a qualified lifeguard too.
    But I see your point, maybe a degree of some sort would be beneficial even if it's not a massively prestigious one from the top university but a degree all the same may be useful.. I'll look into courses that May interest me atleast!

Believe it of not I actually know how to code! (Well I'm nearly fluent!) I'm a qualified lifeguard too.
    But I see your point, maybe a degree of some sort would be beneficial even if it's not a massively prestigious one from the top university but a degree all the same may be useful.. I'll look into courses that May interest me atleast!

Knowing how to code is very handy. Now, try gain some experience, let it be making some form of app or aiding the maintenance of your school website. You need experience which kinda acts like proof that you know how to do **** with your coding :P.

Knowing how to code is very handy. Now, try gain some experience, let it be making some form of app or aiding the maintenance of your school website. You need experience which kinda acts like proof that you know how to do **** with your coding :P.

Haha I think I'll keep it as a pastime! I'd much rather be out and about more so then sitting on my arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Perhaps consider biomedical science? It's quite difficult (in my opinion anyway) but it's got many of the same modules as medicine. It's got long enough hours and many exams but I think it may suit your aptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Perhaps consider biomedical science? It's quite difficult (in my opinion anyway) but it's got many of the same modules as medicine. It's got long enough hours and many exams but I think it may suit your aptitude.

Advertisement