Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elegible for welfare on return with large redundancy payment

Options
  • 17-11-2014 9:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

I'm living in another EU state and I will be redundant from January on. I'm receiving 20K for this and I will be eligible for very decent welfare payments for a full 6 months after. My plan is to stick around for those six months as its good money but I do want to look for another job. This is going to be highly unlikely with my particular skillset and languages so I'm resigned to coming home to Ireland.

Again I reckon I could be 6 months to a year before I get work in Ireland. I've been away for 3 years now so what is the situation wtih benefits? Will I have to use my redundancy money to live on? Should I invest it away from liquid savings?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 2 avvocato

Hello Beaner1,

Just a couple of things you might want to know....

Habitual Residence Condition: If you have been out of the Country for 3 years and are seeking a Jobseekers Allowance payment you will need to satisfy the HRC condition. This can be tricky sometimes depending on individual circumstances. Don't be surprised if your application is refused on HRC grounds, this can happen a lot. You can appeal the decision, claim a Supplementary Welfare Allowance payment during the appeal, and if/when you win your appeal you will be granted Jobseekers allowance. If you need help with an appeal you can contact your local Citizens Information or the INOU - do a google search on social welfare appeals for the links/websites.

Means Test: On Jobseekers Allowance you can have €20,000 without it affecting your jobseekers payment. However, if you are applying for a supplementary welfare allowance payment (SWA) payment pending the processing of your jobseekers payment the means test only discounts €5,000 in savings - so the balance, €15 K, would affect that SWA payment. Don't panic and use up the €15K... it would only reduce the SWA payment on weekly basis. You can be refused SWA on HRC grounds, but this can be appealed as well. If you need help with an appeal for SWA you can contact your local Citizens Information or the INOU

GSW: You will be required to show that you are genuinely seeking work (GSW) to satisfy Social Welfare that you are a genuine jobseeker. They would expect that you have made efforts to find/secure work before you come to Ireland... i.e. online job applications, registration with recruitment agencies, personal/family/friend connections to look for work.

Intreo: If you sign on for a jobseekers payment you will go through the new intreo process. This will include a group presentation and eventual interview with a case officer. you could be offered a training course, TUS placement, JobBridge or Gateway place - google these and read some of the postings on boards.ie about these programmes. If offered you may not have an option to refuse without losing some or all of your payment!

Good luck coming back and in finding a job.

Advertisement