Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bush replacement

Options
  • 17-11-2014 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

I've purchased two front bushes that I want to replace on my car, is this difficult for novice. The part I have is the silver part below.

Car is a 2005 SEAT altea.

volkswagen-golf-mk5-right-drivers-suspension-arm-wishbone-2004-to-2008-2625-p[ekm]300x300[ekm].jpg

What tools would I need, I have a Halfords tool kit, axel stands, and a trolley jack, any thing else, whats the procedure with them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Not familiar with that car but from the diagram it would appear that the silver part you want to replace just pulls off a spur on the the wishbone .
    The silver part would appear to be attached to the body with three bolts/nuts - have a look and see how accessible these are . When you loosen them that end of the wishbone should drop down a bit to enable you to pull off the worn bushing . If its still jammed up against the body you could loosen the bolt at the front of the wishbone - don't have to remove it , just loosen it .
    Pulling off the old bush will probably be easy - but pushing on the new one may be a struggle so use some kind of lubricant to ease it on .
    Make sure the car is secure as you may find some of the bolts /nuts very tight. If there are exposed threads it can help to clean them with a wire brush and apply some penetrating oil before you start.
    There shouldn't be any 'special ' tools required so your toolkit should be fine .
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Can you give some better pictures of it? I've replaced a few using a big hammer, a screwdriver and an old socket. Alot easier, if you don't want the exercise, I've also just removed a wishbone and gone down to the local tyre and exhaust lad witht the new bushings and he pressed them in and out for 20 quid.

A lot of cars have that bushing pressed into the wishbone - but from what I see in the picture this one is pushed on to a spur on the wishbone .
    This could mean that the wishbone doesn't have to be removed from the car - though pushing on the new one could take some effort but doable .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Should I reuse the bolts or replace them with new ones.? would I need a pry bar if it was being difficult.

• Advertisement

Bolts should be fine - no need to renew them unless they get damaged when removing them due to rust etc .
    Bar could be useful to move the end of the wishbone down from the body - but don't force it down far , loosen front bolt to allow more movement.
    if there are self locking nuts used ( plastic insert in one end of the nut ) you could apply some thread locker when refitting .

Advertisement