Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what lack of action would cause a sanction on your job seekers allowance

Options
  • 17-11-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

so i am on jsa, i got a letter saying i am requested to attend a briefing session i assume in a group setting at the government offices in relation to three momentum courses. it doesn't say i am required and it doesn't say that if i don't go it would effect my jsa payment. the three courses are pitman office skills, surf instructor and tourism and hospitality i looked on their website and these are the only courses that are available in my county. i don't think these courses would be a benefit to me as i have a degree already and definitely not the surf instructor one cause i can't swim,am really afraid of water and failed swimming exams in school for years for that reason.the reason being i had a bad experience as a child where i nearly drowned and had to be rescued by a life guard.

the courses seem very long as well with alot of contact hours for doing a degree you would not have that many contact hours let alone for a certificate. one of my family members is doing pitman and they said how you just sit at a computer and the instructor doesn't really teach you anything. i get the impression that these courses are not actual real courses. and i may be mean saying it but if i was to do another course i would prefer to do something a bit better like a post graduate degree.

does anyone know if you get in trouble if you don't go to this briefing session, i feel like it's just wasting time and there are better things i could be doing.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭jos22

1eire13 wrote: »
    so i am on jsa, i got a letter saying i am requested to attend a briefing session i assume in a group setting at the government offices in relation to three momentum courses. it doesn't say i am required and it doesn't say that if i don't go it would effect my jsa payment. the three courses are pitman office skills, surf instructor and tourism and hospitality i looked on their website and these are the only courses that are available in my county. i don't think these courses would be a benefit to me as i have a degree already and definitely not the surf instructor one cause i can't swim,am really afraid of water and failed swimming exams in school for years for that reason.the reason being i had a bad experience as a child where i nearly drowned and had to be rescued by a life guard.

the courses seem very long as well with alot of contact hours for doing a degree you would not have that many contact hours let alone for a certificate. one of my family members is doing pitman and they said how you just sit at a computer and the instructor doesn't really teach you anything. i get the impression that these courses are not actual real courses. and i may be mean saying it but if i was to do another course i would prefer to do something a bit better like a post graduate degree.

does anyone know if you get in trouble if you don't go to this briefing session, i feel like it's just wasting time and there are better things i could be doing.

you better off going, it will save you a headace at later stage by show up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

No one is asking you to sign up for a course, they just want you to go to a briefing. What's the big deal about that?

You will spend less than an hour there probably, meet a few people in the same situation as you and you will have shown that you are prepared take an interest in something.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

1eire13 wrote: »

I'm absolutely amazed that they would offer a course in becoming a Surf Instructor. Are you near the sea? Obviously if you can't swim it's not for you. Just turn up and listen to their waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Best way to avoid having to engage in something that doesn't interest you is to try to find training or internship that might help you get your foot in the employment door albeit in a different field to your degree. Would think it best to attend the briefing session. You may be invited to a one to one meeting afterwards and use that to try to identify something that would be of help i.e., Springboard http://www.springboardcourses.ie/ might suit you as it offers the possibility of post graduate studies.

Advertisement